• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Mystery Power Steering Box...Never mind it's TOYODA

WARDOG

Loc.
Graniteville, CA
I have a power steering box that is a mystery to me.
Any way to identify it without posting pics?
PO says the box is from a Toyota 'Pathfinder' (No such thing).
3 bolts through the frame.

Never mind. While taking pics I found "TOYODA" in the casting tucked away.
PO's !!! What were they thinking? :mad:

That explains why the hoses were cross threaded and leaking like a sieve.%)

Last edited:

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Toyoda is a parts division of Toyota...my guess would be their IFS box. I'm not really sure how that explains the fubar'd hoses and fittings though.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I inspected an EB locally for a well-known EB builder last year that had a "Toyoda" PS box on it. My guess is that it was an IFS box, as Apogee noted.

Todd Z.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
It was Koyo...(something) that was the Nissan boxes before they changed suppliers to Delphi in mid '01

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
My EB has a Toyoda box on it. It's unlike the IFS box on Patch the Wonder Yota, so I'm not sure what it is.

The possible reason for the cross threading is because on at least some of their steering boxes Toyota used an 17mm inverted flare (FJ-60 boxes are for sure like this) on one port and a 16mm inverted flare on the other. As I recall a 5/8 I.F. fitting will screw into the 16mm port and seem to work, but is really wonky in the 17mm. It's either West Texas or PSC, I think, that has the 17mm to -6AN adapter fittings. That info can be found in IH8MUD's FJ-60 forum. I may have even noted it in my "Wallace" build thread.