• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need a cheap solution to getting a transmission out of a lifted truck

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
So, I need a cheap solution to getting my transmission out of my truck, the truck is sitting on 40's I don't have a measurement from the floor to the frame-rail but I will get it in a little while. I have one of the little scissor style transmission jacks but it does not reach. Harbor freight has one of the stand up jacks but it's too tall at 40 inches minimum height. They have a 2 state one but it's fairly spendy I found a cheap 2 stage on ebay for $200 bucks which is a little better but honestly for the amount of times I put transmissions in trucks I would really like to keep it under $150 and ideally more towards $100 considering I have to get the transmission compression clamp thing as well which is not cheap either. Anyone know a cheap way to get a transmission out of a lifted truck?

markperry

Bronco Guru
Take the wheels off and put the axles on short blocks...I had to do this with a lifted full sized Bronco I had.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
4 cheap basketballs (and an inflator needle), 6 rolls of ductape, a cheap dolly...and some wood blocks.

Seventee

Contributor
Loc.
In the sticks of MT
Cherry picker through the tunnel? That's what my plan is, but I have a cover over the opening for my NP435 that allows access...

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Cherry picker through the tunnel? That's what my plan is, but I have a cover over the opening for my NP435 that allows access...

That works real well...for that setup. Even a couple strong fellas with a rope and a 2x4...

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
been done, under a tree at Big Dogs!

OP
OP
L

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL

Yeah that was the one solution I was thinking of, probably the cheapest and easiest, I thing I am going to go with that and the transmission jack I have, drop it from a pulley onto the jack and then use the jack to roll it around.

OP
OP
L

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
take the t/c out first then the trans. cowboy up...

I am afraid for me it would be Custards last stand. My brother and I about dropped the damn thing on our heads last time we put the TC back in, We used to just drop them onto one of our backs while we where on our hands and knees, and bench press them back in, but those days are long gone. Nothing like seeing two grown men struggle with a 50 pound TC case.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I am afraid for me it would be Custards last stand. My brother and I about dropped the damn thing on our heads last time we put the TC back in, We used to just drop them onto one of our backs while we where on our hands and knees, and bench press them back in, but those days are long gone. Nothing like seeing two grown men struggle with a 50 pound TC case.

I always remove and install the tcase separately. It's easier if you replace one of the lower 2 adapter bolts with a 2-3" stud. It will stay in place while you remove/install the other 5 bolts and you can slide it on/off when you're ready. It also helps protect and line up the gasket when putting it in.

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru

2 grown men struggle with a 50# t/c?
man time to hit the gym if you struggle with 25# bench press.

as viper said. long studs to line it up...

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I think he's underestimating the weight. Last D20 I had shipped was 90ish lbs.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I put my axles on stands then it was low enough to use the Harbor Freight scissor style tranny jack. Best $69 bucks I've spent in a long time.
Still have that tranny jack if you need it Low.

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
viper, I agree. either way. it's still only 45# per person..
you could use tapered platforms and transition it off if you don't want to buy or rent a lift of sorts.
airing the tires down considerably will help you out if the height is an issue.

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
What's so hard about removing the tires and put jack stands under the axles???

OP
OP
L

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
I put my axles on stands then it was low enough to use the Harbor Freight scissor style tranny jack. Best $69 bucks I've spent in a long time.
Still have that tranny jack if you need it Low.

Thanks for the offer, I have the same jack in the garage. I think I am going to drop it via the shifter hole and a pully down onto that jack. It will take less time and effort than pulling 4 40" super swampers.

OP
OP
L

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
viper, I agree. either way. it's still only 45# per person..

I was half joking about the weight though we did almost drop it, the issue really was not the weight but rather we are both big guys with big hands and that case is hard to get 4 big hands on and get a good firm grip. We got it back in but not without it slipping out of my brothers hands and me having to catch it with the hand I was using to put the bolt in with. That being said, I like the idea of putting two studs for alignment it, I think I am going to do that while I have the transmission down.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
That being said, I like the idea of putting two studs for alignment it, I think I am going to do that while I have the transmission down.

One is plenty and only put it in one of the lower 2 holes. It's almost impossible to get it out of the upper 4.