• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need advice on Rear Axle Dilemma

624WD

My 66 came with a replaced rear axle - Dana 60. I believe it’s a 3.50. Brakes, backing plate etc are not set up for parking brake cables. State won’t let it pass inspection without parking brake. There is no provision for parking brake cables on this axle.
I am trying to find a replacement axle. But, is it possible that another set of hubs, backing plates, drums and brakes could bolt on to the Dana (or not?) and if I can do that I wouldn’t know what parts to search?

Or should I keep looking for an entire axle assembly?

Need your advice and possibly a source for either.

Tom

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
There are a lot of options, But really need more information. What is the bolt pattern, assuming 5x5.5 but could be anything. There are many ways to get a parking brake. Are your goals to just get it on the road or are they deeper? Yes pics would be helpful too.

PS: Welcome aboard:)

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Guessing the D60 came off an application that has the parking brake on the drive shaft vs. the brake calipers.

Like Yeller said, what's the goal? Just to pass inspection or get rid of the D60?

As I recall there are aftermarket D shaft and pinion mounted E-brake options. I've considered adding one in the past....My E-brake doesn't hold at all.

Tim

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Early Jeep and land rovers do the drive shaft parking brake. Some disc some drum.
I think it would be a great think to do

Master Chief

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Welcome to the site. PM Randy aka Tasker on this board. He does not live far from you and most likely has what you need.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If you are guessing what axle is in it, we will be guessing what might actually fit it. Especially when dealing with swapped parts.

What makes you think it is a 60? We can start with that. Pictures are great (contributor status is the best way of doing that, allows easy direct posting in your post). The Dana 60 was offered in so many different configurations there is no way to just give a blanket answer to a set of brakes that will work. Off the top of my head there are 3 or 4 different backing plate bolt patterns, at least 2 different wheel bolt patterns, semi float and full float with at least 2 different bearing lengths in the full float. If that is even a 60.

As for the driveshaft parking brake, it is a rather mythical beast in the Bronco world. The biggest issue is the driveshaft yoke to floor clearance is so small that there just isn't room to mount one. Other applications have them, but they don't adapt over.