• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need axle wrap help.

doghows72

Bronco Guru
I'm new to the site, but have read it for a long time. I just saw the Duffs new traction bar. I need something like this bad. Any advise on this piece?
Is making my own a possibility? Thanks for any help...

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
it looks like a good system to me. a lot of people do make their own, i have an idea i'd like to try out some day. can you weld? that makes all the difference.

OP
OP
doghows72

doghows72

Bronco Guru
I can stick thing together, but for this I think I would want something strong. I don't know if my welds would hold up or not.

MAYHEM

Loc.
My own little world
That thing looks awesome!! I saw it in person on my vaction, that is definitely the answer to my problems. I tried several other routes, but all seem to limit my droop.

cracker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pueblo, Colorado
what springs are you using? I use the 3.5" leafs from Wildhorses, a 351W and 35's. I don`t have any wrap at all. And those that have seen me run, know I have a hot foot on occasion. %)

todcolvin

The only problems I have had with axle wrap have been due to loose or stretched u-bolts. The stock u-bolts are weak and puny. Wild horses sells a great HD u-bolt kit that includes huge u-bolts and a thick top plate---very nice.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
I have severe axle wrap problems with springs that don't flex. I am using the heavy duty u-bolts by Superlift, my springs are Superlift also (*don't get them, they don't flex!)

The Duff traction bar is not a new idea. They have been available in the Jeep community for years. I'm pretty wary of the bushings in it. They won't flex nearly as well as a heim joint will. They're charging a little too much for it IMO, but it's certainly not terrible. I've seen them advertised for a CJ7 in the $200 range, but that was before the price hike in steel.

I'm opting to build my own, using the design shown on the LEBC website:
http://www.lonestar-ebc.com/Tech/TechItem.asp?TechId=7

I'm guessing that I can do it in a day, and about $100 or so in material. I'll use tractor joints to keep costs down. I don't see the need for precision joints for this particular application. I'll do a short writeup on it when I get around to putting it together.

Here's another clever idea. Get a traction bar (like the WH wrap trap) and long shock mounting (like the Duff Stage 2 getup) all in one fabrication job.
http://www.lonestar-ebc.com/Tech/TechItem.asp?TechId=12

If you can weld, even if you're not great at it, this is a pretty low risk item to learn to fab. IF it breaks, you unbolt it. It won't keep you from getting home. Dive on in guys,
[waterboy voice] You Can Do EEEET!!![/waterboy voice]