• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need help from guys that have swapped to EFI

Anadlas

Ok I posted up here about a week ago about what to look for in a EB when trying to buy one. I'm in Afghanistan for about 2 more weeks and heading home. I'm currently at Fort Riley in Kansas and came across this ad on CL. The vehicle is in Douglas, KS. I called him and was told it has some typical floor rust and one of the taillight panels had some rust as well. Although the plus was that he swapped in an EFI already which is something i was gonna plan on doing anyways which saves me a lot of time and effort. My experience however is with Carburated fords and not really any EFI though i've been adamantly reading up on it since i've been here. I was told that since it's been sitting for 5 years it is no longer running and that all it needed was fuel lines flushed. My question now is does that seem like the only thing that would be needed in a situation like this. Also how involved is it. I have a motorcycle only and will be coming home in winter so i will need to get it road ready quickly. If this is an easy fix i may go ahead and pull the trigger on this one. Any help would be appreciated guys.

http://wichita.craigslist.org/cto/3508585515.html

ransil

Bronco Guru
for what little I can see in the pictures.

I see a half ass EFI install what pops out:
rad hose
serpentine does not have the cast brackets
Fuel line crosses over the motor

looks like manual brakes
no marker light on fenders front or rear

Non running and $5K seem high plus lack of pictures of the problem areas ..I would get some eyes on this first

If it a "simple" flush the fuel system then the owner should take the time to do it.

OP
OP
A

Anadlas

Ok thanks, i wasn't sure how the EFI should look so that helps a lot. Yeah it sucks being here and not being able to have a firsthand look. I did ask for additonal pics however and still waiting on them. I've never flushed fuel lines but from what i've been reading it can be somewhat involved or maybe i'm just finding really complex ways of doing it but i think that seems to be a theme because i called about this one as well and was told the only thing it needed to get up and running was the timing fixed but i've done timing on ford engines and its actaully very simple but i thought the same thing about if it is the only thing that needed to be done why wasn't it done lol.

http://omaha.craigslist.org/cto/3461402134.html

I mean i'm trying to be pretty open about it all, i've owned 3 mustangs (67,68,69) So i understand the work involved and love a project anyways but the fact that i'm needing a car so soon is kinda throwing a wrench into the process. Guess i shouldn't have sold my car before i left lol.

ScanmanSteven

Bronco Guru
First, thanks for your service. We'll pray your next two weeks are safe and you make it back home. Purging the fuel lines could be as simple as adding fresh fuel, removing the fuel line at the fuel rail, adding a lenght of hose and cycle the pump to get fresh, clean fuel. You may end of removing the fuel tank and lines, yuck. Really hard to say. Sounds like there might be more wrong but you can use that to negoiate a better price. Good luck

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for your military service.

Looks pretty rough, or at least not finished.

69 originally had just the side marker reflectors, hence no holes, but these were not re-instlled.

Is that paint or primer?

Looks like an earlier EFI system, not quite sure if it has the Mass Air Sensor or not???

At least ask for better pictures. Lots of them. As stated before, see it in person if possible.

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Id consider a cheap truck that is kinda reliable. An EB thats been sitting for years may have a few more gremlins waiting on you while driving. No telling what kind of soup is waiting on you in the gas tank. Then you have to think about the tranny and TC. Use your Per Diem to buy a cheap reliable car and use that Hazard Pay to drop in a better felt bronco. Id pay $5k if it was running, a good running efi is an expensive upgrade.

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
What happened to the dash? Steering Wheel? etc, etc.... It honestly doesn't look horrible but there is work to be done for sure. The pictures that are supplied don't really show anything and 5K for that is a bit steep considering the current state of the vehicle.

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
Thank you for your service sir, I am forever in your debt.

I agree on the reliable DD at this point. At that price I don't think it will sell in 2 weeks so you should be able to get a look at it. If it's been sitting for 5 years I would be worried that the seals around the injectors would leak, not a good thing for hi pressure fuel lines not to mention that they are probably shellaced up. If it's a speed density EFI, it will need a few upgrades to get it to a mass air, not impossible but a good negotiating factor.

If the floor rust is 'typical' then it has the FBS (Flintstone Braking System) which will knock somemore off;D

Jim W.

OP
OP
A

Anadlas

Thanks for all the input guys, i guess it's back to the search engine for me lol.

ransil

Bronco Guru
Ok thanks, i wasn't sure how the EFI should look so that helps a lot. Yeah it sucks being here and not being able to have a firsthand look. I did ask for additonal pics however and still waiting on them. I've never flushed fuel lines but from what i've been reading it can be somewhat involved or maybe i'm just finding really complex ways of doing it but i think that seems to be a theme because i called about this one as well and was told the only thing it needed to get up and running was the timing fixed but i've done timing on ford engines and its actaully very simple but i thought the same thing about if it is the only thing that needed to be done why wasn't it done lol.

http://omaha.craigslist.org/cto/3461402134.html

I mean i'm trying to be pretty open about it all, i've owned 3 mustangs (67,68,69) So i understand the work involved and love a project anyways but the fact that i'm needing a car so soon is kinda throwing a wrench into the process. Guess i shouldn't have sold my car before i left lol.

this one make the first one look like a good deal. ;D

i say pass on both and keep looking..

OP
OP
A

Anadlas

Yeah, after pricing out replacement parts and labor costs for getting everything buttoned up it all seemed like a pain to get either of them road worthy by the time i left for Alaska in August. I did however find this one and he seems pretty motivated to sell so i shot him an e-mail. Also found it on here so he's a forum member. Seems like everthing is done minus paint, (which i love to do) and interior but i like things sparse on the inside since i haul around 3 pups all the time. But all the important things seem to be done on it already.

http://wichita.craigslist.org/cto/3526965622.html

ransil

Bronco Guru
Yeah, after pricing out replacement parts and labor costs for getting everything buttoned up it all seemed like a pain to get either of them road worthy by the time i left for Alaska in August. I did however find this one and he seems pretty motivated to sell so i shot him an e-mail. Also found it on here so he's a forum member. Seems like everthing is done minus paint, (which i love to do) and interior but i like things sparse on the inside since i haul around 3 pups all the time. But all the important things seem to be done on it already.

http://wichita.craigslist.org/cto/3526965622.html

odd looking wheel cutouts

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
odd looking wheel cutouts

That's what I was thinking, almost looks like glass fenders. Must have a NP435 if it's a 4 speed, unless he's counting reverse;D If it's all as advertised it's close to the ballpark, still a little pricey.

Jim W.

OP
OP
A

Anadlas

Well whenever i hear back from his i'll pass on the additional details to see what you guys think. I really appreciate all the help. Plus the wife said if i can't find one i might have to go with a CJ lol.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I would find an un-molested Bronco and get a pull out Explorer 5.0 and get yourself a Mustang harness and computer. You can't go wrong with doing it yourself and IT IS NOT THAT HARD.

That was you know hat you are dealing with, you won't find someone elses shortcuts and you get what you want, and you know what you have...

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
God speed in getting home, Non HO motor also, only 150-160 hp if you were looking for some power that wnt be it. in situations like that at least with a carb you can track down any problems it s been sitting for a reason. Offer 3k if you like it, you can always get a carb setup from a junk yard to get it going. Looks like it will be some work for a daily driver

meadowblaster

I live in Wichita, I have also done all the mechanical work putting a 5.0 EFI in mine, using a fox body Mustang harness. I would be glad to take a look at the Bronco in Douglas or any around here for you, send you more pics of it and give you my 2 cents for what it's worth if you would like. I could check out the usual rust areas and other common problems these broncos have. It's only about 25 miles or so. PM me if you would like me to take a look. Gives me a reason to go check out a bronco!