• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need help on transmission

gaaj427

I have a 76 Bronco with a 3 on the tree. When pulling the transmission out, the rear shaft pulled out and the roller bearings in the input shaft fell out. So I had to disassemble the trans but as I put it back together I was looking for a reassembly video but there doesn't seem to be one. Does anyone have a video or a good diagram. Thanks!

pennyduke

Loc.
Stafford
Yes, The shaft is sticking out about an inch and you can hear bearings falling into the case.
I can't find a rebuild video on the 3 speed. I may just have to use the shop manual. UGH

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
Stick the needle bearings and spacers back in place with bearing grease, that will hold them where they need to be during shaft assembly. Normally they don't drop needles and rollers unless you pull shafts out of place or have broken snap rings.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Just to confirm, this is the transmission output shaft and NOT the transfer case output shaft.

There are some bearings that fall out of the transfer case and that goes back together pretty easy. I am pretty sure you need to just about rebuild the transmission to get those bearings back in place.

The tool (not much of a tool, just lock the shift levers in gear) is what would normally prevent this problem.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Stick the needle bearings and spacers back in place with bearing grease, that will hold them where they need to be during shaft assembly. Normally they don't drop needles and rollers unless you pull shafts out of place or have broken snap rings.

Just to confirm, this is the transmission output shaft and NOT the transfer case output shaft.

There are some bearings that fall out of the transfer case and that goes back together pretty easy. I am pretty sure you need to just about rebuild the transmission to get those bearings back in place.

The tool (not much of a tool, just lock the shift levers in gear) is what would normally prevent this problem.

^^^^^^^^
Like they said, use that grease to get em back in place during rebuild

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I like videos too, but the book version was what I used to rebuild mine and it took me through the steps pretty clearly.

The only stumbling block for us (or at least some EB's) is that while some of the versions of the trans can be disassembled simply by pulling the front bearing cover off and pulling the entire input shaft out from the front, not all can.
Mine had the larger gear and had to come out the top cover in full "top-loader" fashion.
Not a huge problem, but a bit more finicky to finesse back in place.

I originally went down to the library and found the big hardback Chilton's truck book and copied the pages for both the 3-speed and the transfer case. Almost don't need a book for the Dana 20, but it helps to know the specs you're hoping to match, and to verify you're doing something correctly.

Sorry don't have a link to a video, but I'm pretty sure I found one by accident about a year ago or so. Maybe they just don't have good search terms used? Not sure how YouTube sets their stuff up for search.

Good luck.

Paul