• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need help with front disc brake conversion

gera_raider

Contributor
Loc.
Watsonville CA
Hello all, I'm in the process of installing the SSBC A159-1 front disc break kit on my 66. It's been pretty easy to do, however I am going from a Single master cylinder to a duel master cylinder. I only have one connection coming from all breaks into the master cylinder. The guy at my local auto parts store said that I need to run a new line
From the rear drum breaks. Is this true? Has anybody done this break conversion without running a new line? and use the single connection and plug the the other connection? thanks in advance ! Any knowledge is appreciated .

Broncobowsher

Total hack
While not a '66, I have a '62 F100 that has the same basic brake system.
What you need to do is look for the T-fitting that splits the brake line front to rear.
Take the T-fitting out and put a union in (splices 2 hard brake lines together)
At this point you have one brake line unaccounted for, get another union and another length of brake line up to the master cylinder.

Alternatively you could delete the short length of hard line from the old T-fitting to the front brake hose and replace that with a 1-piece length of brake line to the master cylinder.

As long as the rear brake line is in good shape just use a union to lengthen it to the master cylinder.

On a dual master cylinder the front port does the rear brakes and the rear port does the front brakes.

I've also been known to run braided flex line off the master to account for body and body mount flex. I can also unbolt the master cylinder and set it off to the side for better clearance without breaking fluid lines.