• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need some serious help on this one...

film915

Loc.
Wyoming
Here's a doosey...

I was replacing my valve cover gaskets, and when I was tightening up one of the bolts the head snapped off. I swear I didn't over-tighten it; I was just snugging it up and it just popped off. I think it's just old. My mistake - I should've used new hardware. Anyway, the end if the bolt is still in the shaft, and it's in one of the worst possible places. It's the bolt on the upper right side of the driver's valve cover, closest to the body.

Any suggestions on how to get this thing out? there's very little of the bolt sticking out...

56f100bbw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson / lakeside AZ
If That Doesn't Work Have A Really Good Tig Welder Man Weld A Rod To The Broken Off Shaft And It Will Turn Out . I Had A Broken Off Bolt In A Water Pump And It Was Really Tight .but My Welder John H. In Tucson Got It Out It Was A 89 Coupe De Ville Front Wheel Drive And No Room To Get The Torch In Place To Weld But He Did It .

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I bet you could just take the whole valve cover off then that will give enough room to just finger the broken bolt out.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Go buy a set of reverse cut drill bits. Run them with your drill in reverse. Drill into what's left of the bolt shaft. A lot of times the shaft will thread right out.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Perfect excuse to get a better flowing, bigger set of heads.....

Carl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, IL
Don't you need to drill a hole in the broken bolt to use the Craftsman removal kit? I'm not sure if you have enough room to fit a drill up there near the firewall. What size are those bolts? 1/4-20's? I can't remember.

It's hard to say without seeing it, but I would try to tack weld a slightly smaller bolt or stud to the top of the broken bolt so you can unscrew it. If you don't have a welder or don't feel comfortable doing it, take it to a local welding shop. They'll know if it can be done or not. I would cover the carb with a heavy canvas welding blanket or plastic welding screen before doing any welding. Be careful. ;)