• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need to have steering box rebuild and turn to 4:1 Ratio

brewchief

Ok, thanks. I am really confused now.. Why are many people saying theres not much you can do? Now I would love to learn how to do it myself too... The rebuild / closer ratio seems to be a mystery to most.. but clearly the parts are out there, we just need to find the right guy / company to point us in the right direction. WINK WINK.....
I looked up the basic rebuild kit for a bronco box and then looked at the other applications that it fit, lots of GM boxes are on that list. I see a junkyard trip coming soon for me. I've got a 6 turn box and I went through it a few years ago, there's some scoring that I suspect most rebuilders will say is bad enough that they don't want to touch it so I would like to figure it out and make a 3 or 4 turn box. Sometimes I think steering boxes are like an auto trans, many people think there is some sort of black magic or voodoo inside, in reality it's just parts and pieces.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
I looked up the basic rebuild kit for a bronco box and then looked at the other applications that it fit, lots of GM boxes are on that list. I see a junkyard trip coming soon for me. I've got a 6 turn box and I went through it a few years ago, there's some scoring that I suspect most rebuilders will say is bad enough that they don't want to touch it so I would like to figure it out and make a 3 or 4 turn box. Sometimes I think steering boxes are like an auto trans, many people think there is some sort of black magic or voodoo inside, in reality it's just parts and pieces.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Do you by chance have a list of the GM boxes?

Thanks.

brewchief

Do you by chance have a list of the GM boxes?

Thanks.
I just looked up a basic seal kit at oreilys, there is an option to look up other applications, keep in mind it's just a box that shares the same size seals so it may or may not have the right parts inside.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Once upon people used the guts from a Chevy Astro AWD van steering box to make the Bronco box into a quicker ratio box. I don't know if that's still the case or not.

Todd Z.

jmhend

Bronco Guru
Check out Red Head Steering Gear. They actually size the balls to the amount of wear in the worm. Years ago I found some great videos they did on the process. I called around when I had mine done and didn't find any other shop this in depth with there rebuilds. You can definitely find plenty of cheaper places, but this wasn't a part of the Broncos where I wanted to save a few bucks.
I didn’t realize you have a red head box in your bronco. I may have to give them a shot.

jmhend

Bronco Guru
Did we ever determine what a donor is for ordering a new shaft to give you a "quick ratio" box? I have a 6 turn box that I want to rebuild and make it a quick turn ratio. Anyone?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jhill52

It doesn't appear that anyone knows or is willing to tell us where to get parts. They must be out there the rebuilders get their parts somewhere.

jmhend

Bronco Guru
It doesn't appear that anyone knows or is willing to tell us where to get parts. They must be out there the rebuilders get their parts somewhere.
I agree, it appears the vendors are getting them. I wonder if calling a few vendors or box manufacturers will tell you. I doubt it but someone has to know. Tight lipped for sure.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk