• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New dome light question

70 sport WA

Contributor
There's another thread about dome light ideas, but it seems to be progressing beyond my basic "retro" question:

I've seen this dome light in a few early Broncos--I had a 77 Sport with one--but don't know if it was a factory or dealer option. It attached to the wiper motor cover. Anyone know? What other vehicles did this type of light appear in?

Also, does the plug tap into the wiper wiring...or would I snake it down to another connection under the dash? (And is there an unused female/male receptor for it, of do I get one then tap into some other wiring?)

I know, looking behind the wiper cover and under the dash will perhaps answer some of these questions, but I want to avoid the back spasms that occur with such explorations in the latter. ;) Thanks, Dan

Attachments

• light.jpg
    light.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 31
  • light2.jpg
    light2.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 52

flint_knapper

BRONCO GOD
Loc.
Harvest, AL
my '74 ranger has one made into the wiper cover. The
pigtail is part of the wiper harness. Look under your existing
cover, might be one there.

rustbucket

Bronco Guru
Mine has the same thing. Just turn the headlight switch counter-clockwise to turn on. That was actually a great place to put it. It was great for reading maps and so on.

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think they started putting those in in 73. Correct me if I'm wrong though. My 71 Did not have one, but the '74 and '77 's do.

Blue71

msweb

Bronco Guru
My 74 has the pigtail off of the wiper harness but I still can't seem to get juice to it. :'(

dakota-trav

Loc.
Brookings, SD
msweb said:
My 74 has the pigtail off of the wiper harness but I still can't seem to get juice to it. :'(

Possibly your headlight switch is bad, or you have a break in one of your wires. I didn't have juice to my pigtail until I replaced my headlight switch. "Was original I think". When I pulled the switch out the guts fell out of the back of it. Replaced it and it worked like a charm.

Travis

msweb

Bronco Guru
But my headlights work fine? Who knows. I'm about to yank the whole dash so maybe I'll figure it out then. I've been putting off removing the switch until then and was almost ready to rig a toggle switch. How would you test the switch?

dakota-trav

Loc.
Brookings, SD
msweb said:
But my headlights work fine? Who knows. I'm about to yank the whole dash so maybe I'll figure it out then. I've been putting off removing the switch until then and was almost ready to rig a toggle switch. How would you test the switch?

My headlights worked fine also... well they would flicker on and off... but that turned out to be the dimmer switch and thats a whole nother story.. ;D
The dimmer thats built into the headlight switch was what had went bad on mine. The piece that when you rotate the switch your headlights get brighter or dimmer. I just unplugged it and replaced it with another from my local autoparts store. I think it was 15 to 20 bucks. The dome light is only activated when you turn the headlight switch all the way... I think its to the left, somebody can correct me if I'm wrong. You will feel a click in the switch when you turn it all the way. That is when you shold have power to your pigtail.

OP
OP
70 sport WA

70 sport WA

Contributor
Thanks a lot, very helpful info...sounds like it was available '73 onward and although I'll check behind my wiper cover for a connection (just had it off 'cause of the bikini top and didn't see anything) it looks like "plan B" :)

Dan

msweb

Bronco Guru
Sorry for the hijack 70 sport WA, I'm bad about that...

That said, Thanks for the help dakota-trav. I've turned the switch to the click before and then tested both sides of the pigtail but no juice. The dimmer (dash lights) does work. Maybe getting a new switch is best and going from there.

dakota-trav

Loc.
Brookings, SD
msweb said:

That said, Thanks for the help dakota-trav. I've turned the switch to the click before and then tested both sides of the pigtail but no juice. The dimmer (dash lights) does work. Maybe getting a new switch is best and going from there.

Good luck with the pigtail juice... ;D ;D
Hope I was of some Help

Travis

OP
OP
70 sport WA

70 sport WA

Contributor
msweb said:

No problem...my brother the filmaker (really, a wannabe filmaker) says, "it's like a documentary--the thing takes its own direction, and that's OK." ;D

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
Two items,

First I have a '73 that was built in '72 and it came with the maplight.

Second, my harness throught the windshield is wrapped as one, but the wires to the map light are separate from the wiper lines.

This is a nifty light, but if you run a soft top, kiss it goodbye! Drop bracket wont let you keep it. :(

SeaBiscuit68

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tacoma Wa
70 sport WA said:
There's another thread about dome light ideas, but it seems to be progressing beyond my basic "retro" question:

I've seen this dome light in a few early Broncos--I had a 77 Sport with one--but don't know if it was a factory or dealer option. It attached to the wiper motor cover. Anyone know? What other vehicles did this type of light appear in?

Also, does the plug tap into the wiper wiring...or would I snake it down to another connection under the dash? (And is there an unused female/male receptor for it, of do I get one then tap into some other wiring?)

I know, looking behind the wiper cover and under the dash will perhaps answer some of these questions, but I want to avoid the back spasms that occur with such explorations in the latter. ;) Thanks, Dan

You'd need to run wires for it. Connect to the headlight switch D1 or D2 I don't remember. The other side of the switch gets power from the fuse panel. F4 - 15 amp fuse, also powers the cigar lighter. Some will have a map light under the dash which gets power from the same connection you'll be looking for.

vap13

So does anyone make a replacement dome light that goes in the wiper cover? The lens cover on mine is about shot.
Paul