• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Fuel Tank Design

How important is capacity to you?

• 17 gallons is good enough

Votes: 20 10.3%
  • 18-20 gallons is better

Votes: 103 53.1%
  • 23 gallons is preferred

Votes: 50 25.8%
  • 23 gallons is not enough

Votes: 21 10.8%

• Total voters

cjohnson6772

This looks like a great product. I am excited about seeing the pricing when it is officially launched. Maybe a group buy for the 1st batch with a price break? ;)

I am curious about something I noticed in the pictures of the tank in The Duck. I thought that the Duck had a 1" body lift, but it looks like the tank is mounted in the top hole for stock or no body lift?

jmhend

Bronco Guru
The way this is designed there is no calibration required. That is all done by the mounting height. When it reads dead empty, not E you will have about 1/2 gallon of gas available. When it is on E you will have about 2.5 gallons available meaning for most about 25 miles give or take before you will be walking. The added designs into the tank prevent over filling though it can happen if someone wanted to sit there and click the fuel handle about 100 times to completely fill the expansion area and it will take about another 1.25 gallons at that point but it will back up the vent system, charcoal canister and run out on the quarter like the other designs do when you click the pump handle off once or twice. The other design is it will read a little more evenly throughout the tank instead of rapidly from 1/2 tank on. It also is more consistently accurate so at 1/2 you are about 1/2. not between 1/3 to 3/4 like the others do. The other tanks are about 70% accurate, this one is about 90%. I could have designed it to be 100% accurate but then it would reduce the volume and make for a very tough tank to assemble in manufacturing so it would still work with all of the other requirements.

I have been testing this tank now going on two weeks and it has met every one of my goals. We are making a few more tweaks to enhance fitment issues since we have installed this about 10 times now testing and checking items. We had to resort to manufacturing an insulated electrical bulkhead because the off the shelf parts, though cheaper than for us to make them, leaked too much. Now the tank is completely sealed and I am only relying on a few outsourced components, the fuel sending unit and the AN fittings. Everything else is of my design and has been tested. I am making a slight change to the mounting system to make it even easier to install for the first time and reduce the number of holes you will need to drill to two. I am waiting on quotes from metal suppliers and CNC laser cutters. I should have them by the time we return from SCW and Put In Bay in a little over 2 weeks. Once we order the materials it will take about a month to assemble the first batch. I do not know if Duffs will want the batch in it's entirety before they ship or if they will take what we get done weekly, these are things to be determined next week. We will have a pump available as well as a part number for an over the counter pump that will also work. Thanks for the continued interest.

Sign me up. I am happy to even preorder if thst helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
We had to resort to manufacturing an insulated electrical bulkhead because the off the shelf parts, though cheaper than for us to make them, leaked too much.

This is good to hear! That was my biggest complaint with my "brand X" tank last fall, other than the noisy pump (which I still haven't changed). I had to drop mine and do a serious fix on the electrical connections to kill the leaks.

Todd Z.

tripleJs15

Like I said - take my money!

giphy.gif

jmhend

Bronco Guru
Well the first one is in and is working well. This truck will start road tests next week. The second one is going in the Duck next week for street trials as soon as my engine is back together and it is running.
One question, what is the gap between the rear end and the tank? I would like to put my rear back about 1" (possibly a little more if possible) and add a 4-link (looks like you are running the duff one for a 9"). As you know clearance will be the ultimate factor.

Jason

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
...I'm certainly the different man.
... A. I did vote for 18 to 20. but.
B. SINCE my Bronco IS NOW A 4bt DIESEL .. I'D PLANNED ON making myself a fuel tank .. At 1st I thought I wanted a tank that fit . Straight down from my back window . Mine is a Half Cab. SO My tank was going to be about 63 + wide . & Then Protrude under the cab lip to the back of my Bulkhead . I wanted it Maybe 3 inches wide behind my cab Just enough for a Fill PORT & the Float Valve assembly to fit on top... Bottom of the tank would go forward next to my Bulk head . I don't remember What I'd figured up my capacity Might be . But seems like IT was going to be about 35 to 42.
...... Then After I started driving my Bronco .& It get's about 15 mpg on the farm. & A long trip for me is about 5 miles . I'm like someone else said I don't want my Diesel to get old .. So I've decided I don't really ned but about a 15 to 18 gal tank.
...... The Big reason I thought I wanted the big tank plus my stock 13 still i use. & Maybe even my 8 side tank all ready to use.
... WHEN WE GO TO THE RANCH IN NEW MEXICO .. It's 50K Acres .. & It's about 11 miles south of a very little town . Corina ... BUT We have a camp sight my Buddy & I set up 20 years ago.. It's about 2 miles inside the ranch . SO I've wanted to take it to the Ranch But it's so cold in the morning We'd have to leave mine setting until 10:30 to crank it .. So We'd have to take 2 Bronco just to use mine .. Then my 4BT is a little Louder Noisier than the Ranch diesels .SO We'd have a herd of cows following us all the time.
... So we always take my Buddies Bronco .. & It's in the Shop getting another new 5.0L . installed .
.... He's sure gotten ripped off by each mechanic he's used.
............ I'd sure like to run my diesel around the Ranch .
I did get to take it once back when it was gas . & I shot my big MULLIE that year.
...Now I don't think we can hunt there any longer . Due to the wind mills that are supposed to be placed on it . only 375 Of the Mills . PROGRESS.

Last edited:

jmhend

Bronco Guru
Looks like useable capacity is 20 gallons, total capacity is 21.5. So far very pleased with the.results and I'm loving not seeing that old tank hang so low!

Do you have plans to add or have provisions for a skid plate as well? Looking at the mounting it seems a skid plate could utilize the same two bolt holes that you are using in the frame?

Although it is shorter than the 23 gallon designs I suspect there will be some folks (including myself) that will want and need a skid plate option. Just a thought.

OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Do you have plans to add or have provisions for a skid plate as well? Looking at the mounting it seems a skid plate could utilize the same two bolt holes that you are using in the frame?

Although it is shorter than the 23 gallon designs I suspect there will be some folks (including myself) that will want and need a skid plate option. Just a thought.

Yes it will have a skid plate option as well. We are designing that right now.

As for the updated ETA we are really close. Still fighting some availability issues we are trying to plan around etc. for internals as well as the raw material. This pandemic sucks trying to get anything done quickly. We do appreciate all of the interest and patience and it will be well worth it. Testing is still ongoing, we bounced it off the rocks in Colorado and it didn't phase it without a skid plate. The final revised product is going to be outstanding!

OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
One question, what is the gap between the rear end and the tank? I would like to put my rear back about 1" (possibly a little more if possible) and add a 4-link (looks like you are running the duff one for a 9"). As you know clearance will be the ultimate factor.

Jason

It will have room for the 4 link, this is one of the revisions we had to rework on the front of the tank. If you are looking for more room I may offer a modified version thT would have to be special ordered which would remove

OP
OP
englewoodcowboy

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations

Jason

It will have room for the 4 link, this is one of the revisions we had to rework on the front of the tank. If you are looking for more room I may offer a modified version thT would have to be special ordered which would remove the front chin. It will remove the fuel level offset for the sending unit and make the gauge less accurate only in how fast the needle falls but will retain all other aspects. It also will decrease the capacity by .5 gallon approximately. Everything else will still work with it etc. right down to the skid plate. Duffs are working on a new rear housing that integrates the truss into the housing freeing up room for the 4 link. This housing combination is what we are working the revised design around so we don't have to modify the tank for extended 4 link applications but we don't know how much room you will have to extend the wheelbase yet. This is part of some of the delay, I don't want to have to revisit this again after we launch it. So we are spending more time to be as thorough as possible to get it right the first time.

tripleJs15

It will have room for the 4 link, this is one of the revisions we had to rework on the front of the tank. If you are looking for more room I may offer a modified version thT would have to be special ordered which would remove the front chin. It will remove the fuel level offset for the sending unit and make the gauge less accurate only in how fast the needle falls but will retain all other aspects. It also will decrease the capacity by .5 gallon approximately. Everything else will still work with it etc. right down to the skid plate. Duffs are working on a new rear housing that integrates the truss into the housing freeing up room for the 4 link. This housing combination is what we are working the revised design around so we don't have to modify the tank for extended 4 link applications but we don't know how much room you will have to extend the wheelbase yet. This is part of some of the delay, I don't want to have to revisit this again after we launch it. So we are spending more time to be as thorough as possible to get it right the first time.

Great update - I'm running the current Duff 4 link, you're saying the current design accommodates?

jmhend

Bronco Guru

Perfect, thanks so much for the replies. Hope to see the tank hit production soon. I am holding off on purchasing one in hopes that you guys can get this one to market.

56f100bbw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson / lakeside AZ
I seen some close-up pictures of the stainless steel tanks and the welds look really nice they're probably aiming these gas tanks towards high-end builds I would guess a grand for a gas tank is a lot of money

jmhend

Bronco Guru

The Holidays are coming.... will you guys have a product to sell?

Jason