• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New garage air compressor ?

bobbyray27

Right now I have just a small air compressor and looking to upgrade. I would like to know what would be the correct size compressor and air receiver for opperating air sanders, hammers, impact and spray guns that require alot of air so that I dont have to stop and wait for the darn thing to build up more pressure?

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
Go as big as you can afford. I have an Ingersall-Rand twin cylinder 3hp/7.9 peak 11.3 cfm@ 90psi, continuous duty,60 gal. tank. It's been working ok for about 3years now, but you get tired of listening to it run. I would go up to at least an 80 gal tank and highest cfm you can afford.

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You will probably want a cut off wheel in there as well, I know mine keeps my smaller compressor running constantly..

As an add on to the initial question, what brands are good? Ingersal/Rand, Campbell/Hausfield, Husky, Craftsman? Which brands should be avoided?

OP
OP
B

bobbyray27

Ok what is more important cfm or tank? I don’t have a lot of extra room in the garage and was thinking more on the line of a compressor that can recover quicker and use a smaller tank vs. a small compressor and large tank. Is there some kind of middle ground also budget is going to weigh in on my decision.

t.lay

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grayslake, IL
I've got a 5 hp craftsman w/20 gal tank. It's fair, but a DA gives it a workout and it's really loud. The throughput - airflow & pressure, is what runs the tools, but the storage tank is what keeps the motor/pump from running continuously. Your air tools will have a listing for how much airflow and at what pressure they need to spin them. Next go round I'll look to a 2-stage pump - more flow w/less hp needed and quieter. Get the best you can afford.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
I would say CFM more important, as the compressor works less to refill tank no matter what size....For a home shop compressor remember most of us are only gonna run one tool at a time and unless your running Sandblaster type tool that needs max volume to work....Id say a 60 gal tank and compressor that can handle 12-15 cfm should be plenty.....even a 40 or 50 may be a better choice because of less tank to have to refill equals less run time. Sit back and think just how many air tools youll be running and how often.

Also think about if your shop or garage is wired and ready for 220 versus 110, just something to think about before you buy...Ive heard alot of Oh damn! 220 where am I gonna plug it in?

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
NYLES: I wish I had the 2 extra horse and 7cfm. IR has upped both of those on the 60 gal. since I bought mine. DA sander, cutoff wheel and blast cabinet are the worse, it'll never cutoff. I have reg and moisture trap at the compressor and use second reg when painting. My recovery time is getting ridiculos. I think it's time to rebuild the pump. It does get everyday use.
bobbyray27: Shop around and just get the largest one you can afford. In this case, bigger is better and uprights really don't take up much room. Air tools are addictive.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Expolrer you just working it like a dog! Mines great Im only one uses it and pretty much only on my B'co so it doesnt get near the work load your putting on yours. I did however work both my Gpa's almost to death but well past that stage of my project so mines almost overkill but got it if I need it! I use impact hear there and spray dust around with nozzle lil spary gun here and there. So mine likes me. wish id had it when I build my shop to run nail guns.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
CFM is the king.

Do what you can to get a high CFM at 90 PSI (at 40PSI is worthless).
I run a larger 2 stage IR on a 60 gallon tank. It has a real good recovery speed. I have not had a chance to run it hard yet, but knowing what my old no-name 5HP 60 gallon could do, the added CFM will keep the die grinder running non-stop. Think of this, if you are running a die grinder, DA, angle grinder, sandblaster non-stop you will quickly blow through what ever capacity you have in the tank. You need the CFM of the compressor to keep the tool running or else you will be taking compressor breaks all the time.

I find 60 gallon to be plenty for home use. I can add air to a bunch of tires or use the impact to rotate a set and the compressor may kick on once. I don't have any surge uses of compressed air that would require more then the 60 gallons I have. My impact sucks a ton of air. Even the nice big compressor could not keep up with it. But it is rare that I could ever concive of a time that I could hold the trigger down long enough to drain the compressor in one shot.

At work we have twin 50HP compressors feeding a 100 gallon tank. That is for 25+ bays.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
Expolrer you just working it like a dog! Mines great Im only one uses it and pretty much only on my B'co so it doesnt get near the work load your putting on yours. I did however work both my Gpa's almost to death but well past that stage of my project so mines almost overkill but got it if I need it! I use impact hear there and spray dust around with nozzle lil spary gun here and there. So mine likes me. wish id had it when I build my shop to run nail guns.
I do work it like a dog. most of the time I have two projects going at the same time. Mine would be fine for most users, but all my tools are air and being "retired", I have all day everyday to spend in the garage. Hate golf, quit drinking, crap on TV, this thread is giving me a good reason to upgrade. Love buying tools!

rmfreeze

Loc.
Benton, Arkansas
CFM is the king.

x2. CFM is where you need to be looking. And don't fall for the inflated CFM at a low PSI. Compare CFM at 90psi. If they tout "xx" CFM@40psi then they are trying to FOOL you into thinking their compressor puts out more than it really does. Same goes for the PEAK or DEVELOPED horsepower ratings. Ignore them and look at the number of amps they draw instead. Tank size is secondary. Stay away from direct drive units.

PEELDOG

stay away from anything that says sears craftsmen on it .especially the oil-less
ones JUNK!! the last time mine threw a connecting rod shot shrapnel all over garage.ended up with new commercial pump/5hp motor on sears tank
cfm is key

Fishbone

Loc.
Northern, Illinois
Lots of good info in the other posts, but I noticed you mentioned space was an issue. If your garage is attached you can always put it in the basement and plumb it out to the garage. It's a lot quieter and you won't be sacrificing valuable shop space.

Even if it has to go in the garage, I would recommend isolating it by building an external room or walling off a corner, and insulating it. You'll be glad you did it, and wonder why you didn't do it sooner.:)

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I know it so well I forgot to add it as well. Oil-less are worth-less. Never seen a good one yet. Those that have them hate them. I passed on a free working one once, for good reason. The noisiest POS ever made.

Belt drive, oil lubed is the way to go. 2 stage is even nicer. Direct drive, oil lube is only good for little baby compressors, not real compressors.

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I just went through what your going through. I felt that a good compressor was vital to my shop I searched around and found a nice 2 year old Ingersol Rand 80 gallon, 7.5HP. It has 25 CFM at 90 psi. It should run about anything I throw at it. I'm gonna run tools, paint, and sand blast with it. Been very happy so far. As said above..I'd go with what you can afford, but its worth getting something like a 60 gal, or 80 gal. tank with enough CFM's and at least 5hp or more to run all of your tools. Your tools should have a CFM rating on them so check that out too, to make sure the compressor you purchase can run them all.

Good Luck,

Blue71

Broncobowsher

Total hack
It isn't the end of the world if the toold draws more CFM then the compressor can deliver. It just means you can't hold the trigger down forever. The bigger the descrepence, the more you can't be on the trigger. But for tools that will be on the trigger for extended periods of time (sanders, grinders) then you really need to match the CFM or you will be hosed.