• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Guy with 1966 Rusty Roadster in Arizona

Land Shark

A week ago I picked up this Bronco for $1500. Only came with a bill of sale from original owner passed down through 2 other owners. I knew it was a good deal. I didn’t even have a vin number. I was told it was a 1966 and since it has front mounted rear shocks I have little doubt. No glove box vin, Drivers side kick panel rusted out and door jam Vin tag long gone. Thanks to the internet I found a vin on the frame U13FL735477. I’ve since learned it was a Roadster and done a lot of research on that. Where I am at in Northern Arizona I shouldn’t have to much trouble getting a new title (also I know a DMV agent which helps).
The condition of the Bronco is in fair shape. Lots of early Bronco rust. Original engine has been replaced with a 200 ci with a 3 speed on the floor from a 1978 Fairmont but she runs and shifts and drives good. I had planned to use her as a unique 4x4 beater but since learning it is a rare Roadster I feel the need to restore her or pass her on to someone who will.
I need some advice on what you guys would do with her. Also, How do I identify if she has the “eye brow” grill? I need someone to post a picture of an eye brow grill with an arrow pointing at the “eye brow”. Here some pictures and a video of it running...

http://youtu.be/zX2CED4ab6U

Broncofrontdriversside-1.jpg

Broncofrontpassengerside-1.jpg

Broncoinsidedriversside-1.jpg

Broncoenginedriversside-1.jpg

Broncoenginepassengerside-1.jpg

Broncoreardriversside-1.jpg

Broncorearpassengerside.jpg

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Welcome and Congrats I'd just drive it and be happy with it. If you want to restore it thats fine to. Doesnt have to be restored as it will always be a roadster as long as the DMV doesnt put a new VIN on it. but even then its history is that it was a roadster. Here's a link to help identify the eyebrow grill. http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155574&highlight=eyebrow+grill If you need a kickpanel vin tag you might try Marti auto they make new vin tags. There was no door safety sticker on 66 year model vehicles I dont think that was out until about 1970

Last edited:

mhandy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
New Windsor,ny
a little hard to see because it's black. but if you look above headlight on right you'll see the line that is the eyebrow

Attachments

• PICT0004.jpg
    PICT0004.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 107

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Looks like it was originally white. You can still see where the roadster mirror was attached.

OP
OP
Land Shark

Land Shark

It does have the "Eyebrow" grill (just curious... what are those selling for?). My guess is it was white originally also. I have also learned that they didn't put an option id/vin plate in the glove box and that Marti report doen't have 1966 Bronco's available... Still don't know what to do with it...

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
It does have the "Eyebrow" grill (just curious... what are those selling for?). My guess is it was white originally also. I have also learned that they didn't put an option id/vin plate in the glove box and that Marti report doen't have 1966 Bronco's available... Still don't know what to do with it...

I've seen the eyebrow grills sell for anywhere between $95 and $300 got to be hoping that someone really needs one to get any money out of it but really I'd keep it. As its better to keep it as complete as possible. that way if you decide to restore it you wont be kicking yourself for selling it.

Marti auto does sell 66 data plates although its called a door tag just on broncos it was placed on the kick panel not the door.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I can't see the pictures (work internet filter), but will take a look when I get home.
But do get a clean title on it before sinking time and money into it. Sounds like you got a start on it.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
I can't see the pictures (work internet filter), but will take a look when I get home.
But do get a clean title on it before sinking time and money into it. Sounds like you got a start on it.

does this help

Attachments

• Broncoenginedriversside-1.jpg
    Broncoenginedriversside-1.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 18
  • Broncoenginepassengerside-1.jpg
    Broncoenginepassengerside-1.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Broncofrontdriversside-1.jpg
    Broncofrontdriversside-1.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Broncofrontpassengerside-1.jpg
    Broncofrontpassengerside-1.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 23
  • Broncoinsidedriversside-1.jpg
    Broncoinsidedriversside-1.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 35
  • Broncoreardriversside-1.jpg
    Broncoreardriversside-1.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 22
  • Broncorearpassengerside.jpg
    Broncorearpassengerside.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
Land Shark

Land Shark

Yep, It's from the Prescott Arizona area and to be more percise it is in Paulden now(amazing guess Toddz66). It went up for sale at 7pm on craigslist. The guy had multiple offers over the phone that night. I was the first to look at it 7am the following morning. We made the deal and it was pulled off craigslist. Right now just cleaning it up and making a list of things it needs.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Lots of potential! LOL

I see a bench seat - does it have a bulkhead as well? Also see it's got the louvered speaker weather cover - neat option! Is the tire attached directly to the tailgate?? If so how do you open the lift gate and/or open the tail gate? Good luck - it looks like a good start for a nice restoration.

OP
OP
Land Shark

Land Shark

The rear hatch on the top and the tailgate was welded shut?? Already took a grinder to the welds and both now open and all hardware was still working. Don't really know why someone would do that. I guess they planed on doing some serious off roading and didn't want them to open up? Removed the rear tire spare tire support.

No bulkhead in place. Looks like it had a back bench seat judging from the bolt holes in the bed. I am 90% sure that the front bench seat is not from any bronco.

Looks like i will keep it for now and start a restoring it. I do have the bad habbit of getting half finished with projects, getting bored/fustrated and end up selling them for a loss...