• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New ignition switch '68 - starter at 'ON', wiring doesn't match manual (help please!)

flaagan

Loc.
Cupertino, Ca
So the old ignition pretty much fell apart when I removed it from our '68, but it worked when it was in.

I ordered and received a new switch, and when I plugged it back in the same way it was before the starter would run at the "On" position and I can't get the car started. I've tried figuring it out but the wiring doesn't match up with what's in the shop manual.

In the vehicle, it had the black, violet, and yellow lines matching up with where they're supposed to go according to the manual.

On the "C" plug the vehicle had the pink wire, which in the manual is listed as supposed to be a green wire with red stripe and a red wire with green stripe.

On the "S" plug it had a red wire with blue stripe and a red wire with yellow stripe, where the manual says it should be a blue wire with red stripe.

Help?! :(

oleguy74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
calif city ca
68 wire

this is from seabiscuit68.tripod.com/details

Attachments

• 68 wire.jpg
    68 wire.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 68 ign.jpg
    68 ign.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 13
OP
OP
flaagan

flaagan

Loc.
Cupertino, Ca
I got it figured out, thanks guys!

You'll love this, I had to switch where the C and S wires run... the harness on my sis' '68 is a total bleepin kludge job, thanks to the previous owners. I'm really hoping next summer she buys one of the aftermarket wiring harnesses so it's all clean and wires aren't held down with caulking (wish I was kidding, though I'm gonna try and fix as much of that as I can for her this summer).