• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New install of old stock tire rack

Docmace

Loc.
Lafayette, LA
I just bought a used stock spare tire carrier (swing out) for my '73. My rig never had a spare swing so this will be a new install. I'm pretty sure I can handle all the mounting except for the tailgate latch mounting plate. I cannot see any way that I'm getting inside of the tailgate cavity.

What harm would it do if I simply drilled my holes completely through the tailgate, used longer screws, and mounted the backing plate on the inner wall of the tailgate itself instead of trying to find a way into the cavity. It seems to me that this would be even stronger than the original mounting set-up. Any thoughts?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Take the tailgate handle out. The original inner backing plate fit inside there and had nuts welded to it.

patterdale

Bronco Guru
The reason you would not want to drill all the way through is there is nothing to keep the tailgate from collapsing as you tighten the bolts up.