• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New wilwood front brakes

NCW

Placed my order today. 14" rotors front and rear. Will be fun to see how they fit up. Once they come in (Friday Week) I'll post it in my build thread.

WIL-14013330DR
DISC BRAKE KIT
(Mfr. #: 14013330DR) Shipping From Manufacturer
Ground
$1,589.99 1 $1,589.99

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WIL-14013333DR
DISC BRAKE KIT
(Mfr. #: 14013333DR) Shipping From Manufacturer
Ground
$1,539.99 1 $1,539.99

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for the link so we can finally see what they're offering. I couldn't find it a few weeks ago.

Don - seen the Wilwoods in your sig for a long time and curious what you're running?

Todd Z.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Those are nice. I need a set for the rear. My disk just dont have the power to stop the 37'' rubber that well.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Todd, the backing plates are a Horse Power Sales item and the rest of the items are from JBG. I had the new rotors ceramic coated. Typical of the Jet Hot product, but was done by Central CT Coatings. Knuckles were thru tapped and spindles attached with ARP bolts extending a tad past flush for max thread engagement. With the Wilwood D52 caliper, everything fits PERFECT! If I can get my new body installed and painted this spring will give you a test report.

Thanks Don - I didn't know if you were running the D52 calipers or not.

Todd Z.

navalbronco66

Was checking out the wilwood set ups for the bronco. They had some kits called dyna pro for around 800. Anyone know the difference between that kit and the others? Also since most of the braking is done with the front I guess going all out on the front disc setup and going economy on the rear wouldn't be so bad. Anyone know what else is required to convert the front drums to disc brakes? I don't think the wilwood kits have everything needed.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Was checking out the wilwood set ups for the bronco. They had some kits called dyna pro for around 800. Anyone know the difference between that kit and the others? Also since most of the braking is done with the front I guess going all out on the front disc setup and going economy on the rear wouldn't be so bad. Anyone know what else is required to convert the front drums to disc brakes? I don't think the wilwood kits have everything needed.

The front Wilwood EB kits actually look to be fairly complete, they even include hoses where most of their kits don't. Their BP-10 pad compound is not my favorite, but okay for a daily-driver type application. Not great for manual brakes IMO, but pretty decent with a solid vacuum assist setup or hydroboost assuming my muscle car experience crosses over into the EB world. What the kits won't include is a new master cylinder, which will need to be sized accordingly based on the effective area of the calipers and the application in question. The front Wilwood SL4/DP6 calipers are 4.80/5.04 square inches respectively, whereas the OE Chevy D52's (2.94") are 6.7 square inches and the Ford calipers (2.88") are 6.5 square inches, so you'll need a smaller bore MC to supply more pressure/less volume as required.

The Wilwood Dynapro caliper is pretty much their bargain basement 6-piston caliper that they've been leveraging for the past couple of years in the muscle car market as something between their Dynalite and Superlite calipers that can still be squeezed inside 15 inch wheels. The pads are small, the same size that they pair with their 4-piston Dynalite calipers. Rotor diameter and thickness counts for a lot when you're comparing brake capacity, as more thermal mass means lower average operating temperatures. The Dynapro calipers are typically paired with either an 11.75" or 12.19" x .81" rotor, which to be honest, is arguably not an upgrade from the factory 11.72" x 1.20" rotor, but rather a step in the wrong direction IMHO. While certainly better than the factory drums, I wouldn't go out of my way to buy and install the Dynapro kit over an OE disc solution unless that was all the wheels would allow or you just really wanted to go aftermarket.

The 12.88" diameter kits with the Superlite calipers will require 17" wheels minimum and the 14" kits will require 18's, ruling them out for many not interested in running larger diameter wheels...big brakes require big wheels.

I'm just glad they bothered, as I'd rather have more options than less.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru

It appears the kit is complete. You reuse your spindle and hub. You just remove the brake backing plate and the brake drum itself and install the kit.

I kinda agree 14in is a little much for most broncos and the 12in is not worth the price when you can do the same thing for way less. If you want willwood do the gm brake conversion and get some willwood calipers.
I believe the $800 kits are rear kits. again way to much money for rear brakes that only do maybe 20% of your braking.

navalbronco66

It appears the kit is complete. You reuse your spindle and hub. You just remove the brake backing plate and the brake drum itself and install the kit.

I kinda agree 14in is a little much for most broncos and the 12in is not worth the price when you can do the same thing for way less. If you want willwood do the gm brake conversion and get some willwood calipers.
I believe the $800 kits are rear kits. again way to much money for rear brakes that only do maybe 20% of your braking.

Wouldn't you have to custom fab some brackets for the calipers if you are converting the front drum brakes?

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
You can use the (70's) Chevy Dana 44 backing plates that retain the caliper while using the Ford (76-77 eb) rotor.
Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I'm just glad they bothered, as I'd rather have more options than less.

X2 on that. Nice to always know there are more options out there for us brake geeks. The guy that designed the kit is an EB owner and has apparently wanted to put together such a kit for a long time.

I'm curious of the piston diameters chosen for this kit - the narrow SLs have several options.

I'm not super crazy about fixed caliper kits on semi-floating rear axles - I'd probably do a floater myself if I went that route.

Todd Z.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Wouldn't you have to custom fab some brackets for the calipers if you are converting the front drum brakes?

Thats what the wilwood kit does it gives you all the parts needed to convert drums to disc. Brackets calipers and rotors. The only real differance between the wilwood kit and any of the kits the vendors sell is the vendors kits use off the shelf parts you can get almost anywhere where. With the wilwood its going to be wilwood or nothing. Your only saving grace is that rotors and calipers do last a long time usually. Of course when soething does fail you will have to wait for it to come in.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
X2 on that. Nice to always know there are more options out there for us brake geeks. The guy that designed the kit is an EB owner and has apparently wanted to put together such a kit for a long time.

I'm curious of the piston diameters chosen for this kit - the narrow SLs have several options.

I'm not super crazy about fixed caliper kits on semi-floating rear axles - I'd probably do a floater myself if I went that route.

Todd Z.

Wilwood actually doesn't have many caliper piston configuration options with their Forged Narrow Superlite 4-piston calipers (FNSL4R), really only the one that would appropriate for a front kit with 4x1.75 pistons and 4.80 square inches of effective area. The others are for rear applications with 4x1.12 (1.97 sq in) and 4x1.25 (2.45 sq in) pistons respectively. The short pistons and lack of outer dust seals make them easier to package inside various wheels, but do require a slightly higher degree of maintenance than more conventional OE caliper designs.

Interestingly, the FNSL6R 6-piston calipers actually have less piston area (4.04 sq in) due to the space constraints of cramming another piston between the two already there, but they are directly interchangeable with one another from a mounting perspective if someone wanted the extra pistons and staggered bore configuration.

Tobin

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
On top of all that stock gm calipers give about 6.7 sq. in. of piston area. So you will effectively reduce the amount of clamping force by going to the wilwood 2 piston calipers mentioned above. In most cases 2 or more piston calipers will always provide less clamping force than the big 1 piston calipers about all you get with multipule piston calipers is more even clamping force across the brake pad and more areas to have a failure.
Of course this is all relative as once you start changing caliper sizes your going to need to change MC bore size as well to match your new caliper size to get the correct amount of volume and pressures.