• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New wilwood front brakes

navalbronco66

Thats what the wilwood kit does it gives you all the parts needed to convert drums to disc. Brackets calipers and rotors. The only real differance between the wilwood kit and any of the kits the vendors sell is the vendors kits use off the shelf parts you can get almost anywhere where. With the wilwood its going to be wilwood or nothing. Your only saving grace is that rotors and calipers do last a long time usually. Of course when soething does fail you will have to wait for it to come in.

Well in that case I'll just stick to the normal conversion. It may not be worth the extra cash just to have willwood written on the caliper.

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
I have the Chevy conversion

Nice to be able to walk into any auto parts store and get pads
Or gt a whole new caliper for $20

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Well in that case I'll just stick to the normal conversion. It may not be worth the extra cash just to have willwood written on the caliper.

Pretty much correct there the name means nothing when you cant get parts for it. Still if you do the normal GM conversion wilwood does make calipers that will fit so you could still have the wilwood name. But it apears they have less clamping force than the stock GM calipers so its not a stellar idea.

cs66

You can use the (70's) Chevy Dana 44 backing plates that retain the caliper while using the Ford (76-77 eb) rotor.
Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

What else is involved in this conversion? How / where did you stumble into this? I want (more so need) to change mine over to disc on front and back. Love to have a link or some other info if available.

Thanks

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
You must live under a rock. lol Go to the links section toward the top left hand side of the page there are several writeups on disc brake swaps. Mostly for the fronts as the rears well rears are more of a want to have thing than a need to have as rear brakes only do about 20% of your total braking.
You'll find a lot of good info on all kinds of things in the links section.

cs66

Hey, no offense here! Ask a dumb question and I would expect that type of answer. When I first done my 66 rebuild in 1990-94 there wasn't all these sources for info and parts. I'm new on here and was using an app on my phone to view this site, but see that it is much more useful via the url. Fixing to start working on the disc brake conversion and changing the original 3 speed out with a ZF 5 transmission. These threads are very useful.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
What, admonishing a newbie for starting a weekly disc brake conversion thread? How unwelcoming and rude. Next you will be chastising a noob for asking if a 351W conversion has ever been done, or God forbid, adding rear wheel cut outs. Just rude I tell you, just rude!

Right I could have told him just to do a search and left it at that. Which would be rude but I did point him in the right direction. He didnt start this thread and instead of trying to list all the things involved in said swap I told him where to look for the info. Could I have been a little more helpful probably. But there is tons of good info in the links section that will be more helpful than my trying to spell out what it takes. He can read up on it then if he has questions start his own thread. Of course while he's in the link section he may find out about other upgrades he may want to do.

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
I totaly agree with brocnaz will all started out new on here and could have used a few tips as to where to look and use different places search features. Apparently some of us ether forgot that or were never a newbie.

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
Sorry to hijack the thread and ask a dumb question but this is at least the second tread where VT_Don's post have disappeared is Jon (administration for the new guys) or what.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
You can delete your own posts. So that could explain the missing posts. I really doubt admin would bother deleting his post at leas this one anyways. It wasnt offensive or against the rules as far as I know. Also if it was a issue Im sure he would have spoken up.

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
I do agree I didn't think admin. would delet it I have just seen a lot of posts from him lately poking at newbie's and then they are gone so I was wondering.