• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Wobble

Lawndart

Loc.
The other day, I experienced my first wobble - a little scary. I was going about 50mph down a road I have traveled nearly every day for over a decade. Straight road with a cross road that creates a hump and unloads the suspension when going over it. Right at the top of the hump the wobble started. I slowed and it went away. I have driven it about 300 miles since the first wobble and at highway speeds - 65mph with no issues. My tires are new this season with about 3500 miles on them, so I rotated them today and headed to that place again. At 40mph, no wobble. I turned around and repeated at 50mph - wobble was still there - crap.

History: I purchased this Bronco about a decade ago with 37000 miles and it was lifted. I drove it home from half way across the country. I bought new suspension and returned it to OEM height. Now I have 124000 miles on my good ole Bronco!

I did some research and had already ordered new track bar bushings from Wild Horses and they were already received. After the wobble was still there (today), I used my phone to take a video from the front while I turned the wheel back and forth - body moved considerably in relation to the axle.

Then, I climbed under to find this.
53821587107_be229f0ba3_c.jpg

Drove home and replaced the bushings. They had been changed by the original owner. The replacement took all of 15 minutes - unbelievable.

Here is a pic of the old ones - bottom OK, top not OK.
53822500581_1e2dd83cb2_c.jpg

Thank you to this forum, the admin and the participants for pointing me in the right direction.

Heading on a 250 mile drive tomorrow and want to take my Bronco.
*** One question - what are the torque specs on the lower nut and the upper nut/bolt? ***

Cheers!

PS - I'll post the vids once they upload.

Kalex

Contributor
I just copied this from the forum, but I think it was part of what I used when doing mine:

Tie rod, spindle connecting rods, 60-75 lb
Drag link, drag link studs 60-75 lb
Trac bar, pivot to frame 110-130 ft, pivot to axle 155-205 lb
Radius arms, to front axle 180-220 lb
Front spring bolts, front spring assembly to hangar bracket 90-130 lb
Leaf springs at frame, shakle through bolt nut, 80-110 lb