• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

newbie asking questions

jkruse76

So , I am new to the bronco world as title implies. Have a quick question. Will a 67' windshield frame and dash fit a 74' without make a ridiculous amount of modifications ? My windshield collapsed down on the dash and busted the mounts on the dash so now the dash rests on the shifter and I can not obviously shift...Thanks in advance for your replies and newbie understanding..... : )

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Wow! That sounds like some strangely serious damage there jkruse! Got pics? ;D

To partially answer your question, at least as far as the dash is concerned, it will physically bolt up, but some of your switches and wiring will differ and may need to be modified to work.
You'll also lose your nice dash indicator light bars below the control knobs.
You may also end up with extra holes, such as the one for the hazard flashers. Your '74 would have the hazard switch in the steering column, while the '67 would have it on the dash.
The knobs are different and the speaker location may be different as well.
So yes, it can be done. But no, it's not just a bolt-n-go proposition.

As for the windshield frame, I believe that they are all the same basic size and shape, but here again, some minor variations may not keep you from finishing, but they'll add a layer of hassle that might be better taken care of by finding another donor from a '74 through '77 rig.
The early one may bolt on, where the later should be welded at the hinge.
The wiper pivot shaft hole locations are different.
If the early has the hold-down clamp, it may only be a visual issue. Should not keep you from mounting things up I wouldn't think.

Anyway, good luck either way. Would like to see pics of what you're describing sometime too.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
By the way, was the collapse due to rust, or an accident, or something else?
Just curious.

Paul

OP
OP
J

jkruse76

paul

So I am buying the bronco from the second owner. Mechanically the rig is sound. My understanding is the previous owner had put it up for sale , had a guy who was interested. He took it for a test drive the hood pins were not fastened all the way hood blew up hit windshield and it collapsed back down on dash. Which shoved the dash down on the shifter. Once I remove the windshield I should be able to raise the dash of the shifter and get it on the trailer. That story was confirmed by a reputable source and the kid I am buying from is a pretty genuine guy. Luckily no one was killed in what could have been a dangerous situation out on the road..Yes I have a bit of work ahead of me , but for the price and it being mechanically sound I can't pass it up. But hey , that's why we get into these things right..... : ) thanks for the info and insight....much appreciated ! Btw , I should mention it is a glass tub.......I'll try and get some pics when I get it home....

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sounds a bit extreme. Lots of EB's have had their hoods fly open (one member here even got knocked out for a few seconds when the leading edge of the hood bent over the top of the windshield frame and whacked him a good one on the top of the head.
None of them have damaged the windshield frame much, or the dash any at all. Which makes me wonder about it. Doesn't mean it couldn't happen of course. Just means it's a bit out of the ordinary.

The windshield is attached to the cowl are of the body. This is basically the firewall/cowl/door hing post (A-pillar). And the dash is simply bolted to the sides of the hinge panels, with a couple of long bolts into the windshield frame. With the clearance between the frame and dash, I would have thought the windshield would have had to have been pushed all the way down flat before it could contact the dash.

If, on the other hand, the cowl area itself has taken so much damage that the dash is being pushed down, that seems serious.

Have you seen under the hood?
Have you seen under the dash?
What about the steering column? Is the wheel in the driver's seat?

Ahhh, sooo. I just re-read before hitting REPLY and realized you said it's a glass tub. Well, then, I'm not sure if any of what I'm concerned about even applies. Maybe someone with more fiberglass experience can help us determine what it takes to push a dash down on a shifter?

Good luck. Can't wait to see pics, and to hear it's not a big deal and that you bought it!

Paul

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
Sounds like the cowl has given way. It is repairable but not a simple bolt on operation. The cowl panel is welded to the firewall and door posts, and is supported by the inner fenders. It is possible that is busted the mounting screw across the top of the dash and the two support brackets on the bottom that bolt to the inner fenders, but it would take a very hard hit for that to happen.

OP
OP
J

jkruse76

support brackets

You nailed it, the support brackets going into the fender wells are snapped from what I could see. Which is why the dash now rests on the shifter. It broke both of the hood props too when it came flying up , so I gotta replace those as well. What a way to start off my bronco adventure , at least it will keep me busy..... : ) if there is damage to the fiberglass tub ie. Where these things bolt/screw in to , is that fixable or would the tub be kinda shot at that point. I have never worked with fiberglass before and with the old metal tubs welding is always an option. Just not sure about fiberglass though. Thoughts......?