• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Newbie needing help identifying part/purpose

conor_nolen

Loc.
San Francisco
I am getting more and more settled into my 1974 Bronco. It has a 302 V8 and there are still a number of parts in the engine compartment I am still trying to understand the purpose of.

I have shared 3 pics here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B32nZmyxIf6fWDR4VVFlZXJYN2M.

Picture 1: What is this (Under passenger fender)? And what does it do?
Picture 2: Why has the previous owner capped this tube and assuming there is a better way to truly cap it if that is what should be done
Picture 3: Tube from Picture two connects to this silver piece and not sure what this is either.

Appreciate the help!

SevenT

Contributor
Loc.
Southern Colorado
Parts

Conor_nolen,

Picture #3 is the vacuum advance on the distributor and the hose is intake vacuum to advance timing at higer RPMs. The item in pic #2 is a vacuum line from the carb base plate, for what I do not know. Pic #1 looks like a vapor canister for the fuel system, 1974 had emissions requirements. Hope this helps.

v/r,

SevenT

Last edited:

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you're going to get rid of #3, put it up for sale. People look for that part.

OP
OP
C

conor_nolen

Loc.
San Francisco
Thanks! @SevenT...Any idea why the previous owner would have capped that line out of the Carb? Should it not be connected to the rest of the line seen in the pic?

SevenT

Contributor
Loc.
Southern Colorado
Vacuum lines

Conor_nolen,

I went with EFI and cant remember all of the vacuum hookups for a carb. Search for vacuum diagrams for carbs in a Bronco.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, the vacuum hose at the base of the carb is ported vacuum and should go directly to the vacuum advance canister on the distributor. The tee goes to a thermal switch, but most of the thermal switch connections have been bypassed. If that was my engine I would make sure the distributor, and auto tranny, (if any)- had small vacuum lines, and the PVC, and power brakes (if any) had large vacuum lines. A Chilton's manual will help you understand what is what, what is missing, and what goes where. Good luck

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Picture 1: What is this (Under passenger fender)? And what does it do?

That is your "charcoal canister" or evaporative emissions canister. They used that style from mid-'70 to about early-'76 when they changed to a higher firewall-mounted plastic tank.
The small line should come from the tank(s) via the condensing tank behind the driver's shoulder in that panel on the side.
The two large ports go up into the engine compartment. One to the air cleaner housing. The other simply to air, but up high to keep water and debris out of it.

Picture 2: Why has the previous owner capped this tube and assuming there is a better way to truly cap it if that is what should be done

Two reasons. Both legit in their way.
One is simplicity and laziness. Get it done quick, chop a hose, then insert a bolt. Done.
The other reason these days is that the vacuum caps sold today are absolute crap. They may last six months if you're lucky. After fighting vacuum leaks for who knows how long, the PO may just have given up and gone back to the old method because the hose lasts much longer than the stupid caps made for this job.

Picture 3: Tube from Picture two connects to this silver piece and not sure what this is either.

As they said, it's your vacuum advance on the front of the distributor. Find out where it goes and you'll most likely be happier by connecting it to the ported, or "timed" vacuum port on the carb.
If that's the one that's capped off with the hose-n-bolt like was said, pull that old hose off and connect the one from the vacuum advance to that port.
You will likely have to re-adjust your timing by twisting the distributor, but hard to say until you get there. Easy way to tell now would be to disconnect the hose from the distributor right now and see where your timing is.
Some prefer the hose connected to full vacuum like it looks like yours is now, but most prefer the ported vacuum signal.

You can definitely put the vacuum caps in place of any unused hoses. You just need to get good ones or get lucky.
I just replaced a couple on an engine that was built less than three years ago and only had 3500 miles or so on it.
Up to you, but let's see if anyone has a brand recommendation for a better cap.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Glad to help. Have fun and I hope it all works just as expected when you're done swapping hoses around and generally messing about under the hood!;D

Paul

Osterman16

Where can I find a stock vapor canister for my 74. I removed it to clean the frame rails and bracket and accidentally threw it away. I haven't found anything close to it yet.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Normally I enjoy resurrecting the old ones, but in this case I totally agree with gr8scott because of the very vague title of this thread.
If you create your own with the title more direct, like “where do I find an original charcoal canister“ that would get more traction.
And also post it up in the Parts Wanted section for sure.
As well as perusing the parts for sale section of course.

There are probably quite a few just sitting around in garage is waiting to be thrown away, with the owners never realizing that people out there want them.
More common these days than ever though, I believe people are updating to the newer style.
Mainly because that one is available brand new still.

Good luck.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, and I meant to add to check the junkyards.
Any 70s vintage car or truck canister will likely work.
Most of them were similar diameters on Ford’s at least, if not depth.
I wanted more ground clearance so I ended up putting one from a Pinto on mine!

MikeCon

Been running my 73 without the vapor canister . runs fine. Is it really necessary?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It’s presence or absence doesn’t affect how the engine runs. Only how many gas fumes escape from the fuel system.
Do you park in the garage or outside?