• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Newbie (North County San Diego) looking for help with new EB purchase

horhay25

Loc.
Encinitas, CA
Hey All,

New to the forum, semi new to Early Broncos. Have had experience with classic cars/muscle cars, although very little classic 4x4 experience. I've had a bunch of buddies with broncos and I've always been jealous. Currently looking at this bronco and wanted to ask your opinions on it. http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/cto/4087133227.html

Spoke to the owner and checked it out today. Very cool dude, very cool truck. Rhino lined interior with new carpet. Very clean inside. 289V8(owner told that, not sure if its a 302) C4 Auto, PS, Disc Brakes (Front). Engine runs strong, tranny shifts solid. new 2.5" lift kit, newer tires, nice hard top.

My issues:
Has a bit of rust between the quarter panel seams, rear taillight panels (by the bumper).

There is a leak coming out of the bottom of a spark plug, not sure if it's oil or gas. Is this common? possible valve cover gasket?

There is a ticking sound. Owner thinks it's coming from where the exhaust manifold meets the exhaust pipe. Says the bolts loosen every now and again and makes that ticking...Anyone familiar with this??

Power steering has ALOT of play! I'm guessing i can go from 12 o'clock to 10:30 without moving the wheels?? Is this common? Maybe a gasket/rebuild??

When turning while going over bumps, car felt shifty, similar to a bus whose rear wheels also turn...owner says the new lift needs to settle?? Anyone?? Is this common feel for broncos? Haven't rid in one in 10 years!

All that being said, would you pay the asking price?

If by chance any of you experienced veterans are in the north county San Diego area and wants to check out a bronco and give an opinion, I'll buy you a couple beers and be deeply grateful!

Happy Wheeling

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
Hey All,

New to the forum, semi new to Early Broncos. Have had experience with classic cars/muscle cars, although very little classic 4x4 experience. I've had a bunch of buddies with broncos and I've always been jealous. Currently looking at this bronco and wanted to ask your opinions on it. http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/cto/4087133227.html

Spoke to the owner and checked it out today. Very cool dude, very cool truck. Rhino lined interior with new carpet. Very clean inside. 289V8(owner told that, not sure if its a 302) C4 Auto, PS, Disc Brakes (Front). Engine runs strong, tranny shifts solid. new 2.5" lift kit, newer tires, nice hard top.

My issues:
Has a bit of rust between the quarter panel seams, rear taillight panels (by the bumper).

There is a leak coming out of the bottom of a spark plug, not sure if it's oil or gas. Is this common? possible valve cover gasket?

There is a ticking sound. Owner thinks it's coming from where the exhaust manifold meets the exhaust pipe. Says the bolts loosen every now and again and makes that ticking...Anyone familiar with this??

Power steering has ALOT of play! I'm guessing i can go from 12 o'clock to 10:30 without moving the wheels?? Is this common? Maybe a gasket/rebuild??

When turning while going over bumps, car felt shifty, similar to a bus whose rear wheels also turn...owner says the new lift needs to settle?? Anyone?? Is this common feel for broncos? Haven't rid in one in 10 years!

All that being said, would you pay the asking price?

If by chance any of you experienced veterans are in the north county San Diego area and wants to check out a bronco and give an opinion, I'll buy you a couple beers and be deeply grateful!

Happy Wheeling

Seems like a bit much for that truck to me.
Sounds like that rust is normal for an unrestored Bronco.
Leak coming from spark plug could be many things...blown head gasket, loose head? or other issue.
Ticking sound is most likely an exhaust leak...but could also be a stuck lifter.
Factory power steering is 6:1...so the wheel has a lot of spin but should not have "play"....that would mean something is loose.
Most likely needs an alignment....could also be loose steering components or the lift was not installed correctly.