• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Newbie, Tailgate handle/mechanism HELP

mytmouse75

Loc.
Medford
I could really use help/advice on the tailgate mechanism;
I just can't seem to get it to work. I thought I had it, cause last time I played with it I had it open and couldn't close it. Once I got the handle/mechanism (I thought) attached correctly, I have to pull the handle while slamming the tailgate. Now I can't open it. The mechanism seems to not be pulling the latches all the way. I believe it's because of the handle cam hole is king of rounded out (see pics).

https://goo.gl/photos/sodN9shuRmSVY8es5

Any thoughts / ideas?
If I get another handle I'd have to get it painted. Or I could just paint t it black (for now), cause it's behind the spare tire...

OP
OP
mytmouse75

mytmouse75

Loc.
Medford
If I needed to, I can't see how to even get inside the tailgate, to see that the rods / mechanism are working. I guess you have to remove the latches?

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
You shouldn't have to slam the tailgate to get it to shut. Those Latches in my experience don't catch like a door latch when they close. You have to pull the latch handle like youre opening the tailgate when closing it. Once its all the way up let go of the handle. You might of messed something up by slamming it closed

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Mine will close with a firm "slam" without the handle being pulled, but I agree that's the way most of the EB's in my experience work best.
Hopefully you have not damaged anything by slamming, but depends on just how hard you're pushing it and they're resisting it. But if it's all still good, I would think you should be able to tweak and adjust it to the point it works. Here again though, every Bronco is different. I know other EB's that have been worked on diligently and you still have to pull the handle at least half way to get it to close easily.

Are the ends lubed at all? Might not be factory, but I've always lubed mine up at least while working on it and adjusting things. After that, I think I might have relubed them maybe three times in the 40 years I've owned it, so it's not like it's a regular maintenance thing you have to keep on your list.

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
mytmouse75

mytmouse75

Loc.
Medford
Just to be clear, I was not slamming it that hard as you guy's are thinking to damage anything. I think I see the problems. After watching that video, and now knowing how the tailgate and the mechanism works , I definitely need a new handle and pivot bolt. I'm able to work the tailgate with vise grips and once I opened it, I see the one striker was loose and both needed to be aligned. Between the handle cam hole and the pivot bolt being rounded out it wasn't able to pull the actuator rods all the way. I think between the handle not being bolted on correctly, the strikers not aligned, and the aftermarket spare tire rack stopper banging on the handle were all contributors to messaging up this tailgate.

OP
OP
mytmouse75

mytmouse75

Loc.
Medford
I just wanted to say ;

Thanks for EVERYTHING !

Hope you all have a HAPPY and SAFE Thanksgiving ! ;D