• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Newly converted 4x4x2 box or the new Delphi replacement

Raccol

Contributor
I have the option to buy either and was looking for feedback (pros/cons) on which path to take with my build. Price for both is basically a wash.

Bronco will be mostly street driven with 31" tires.

Also interested in alternate recommendations with pros/cons.

thanks

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
From my standpoint it depends entirely on what you wanna end up with.
Do you want to do further modifications and are you going to end up with big tires, big suspension lift, and do some hard driving? Or do you want a more simple full-time proposition with fewer modifications?
Either one is stronger than the original bronco box, but the 4x4x2 is probably overkill for most.

OP
OP
Raccol

Raccol

Contributor
From my standpoint it depends entirely on what you wanna end up with.
Do you want to do further modifications and are you going to end up with big tires, big suspension lift, and do some hard driving? Or do you want a more simple full-time proposition with fewer modifications?
Either one is stronger than the original bronco box, but the 4x4x2 is probably overkill for most.
I'm certainly interested in knowing if the Delphi is a much easier conversion. Reliability/maintenance is also a consideration. I prefer to only do this once.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The brand new box is, well, brand new. The converted box could have many new parts in it, or might not.
I’m not sure if there is only one way to accomplish it, or multiples. My guess is multiples including reusing some of the old parts.

The Delphi box is a bolt on. The conversion box is not.

Either one requires the use of a new lower steering shaft, so that’s a wash.

The conversion box will probably require some minimal modification of the lower edge of the driver side wheel well.
Either one could require a little modification of the radiator core support for clearance, but the conversion box might require more.
If you have a late 72 model or later, this may not be a big issue.

The conversion box is best mounted slightly forward which entails notching a body mount on the frame. This isn’t always required and some installations don’t use that, but it’s an option.

The conversion box is also slightly taller so depending on how you mount it it can require realigning of the steering linkage, or more intrusion into the engine compartment.

Either one requires new hoses.

Pitman Arm fitment is the same for both.

Probably other differences as well, but basically the 4X4X2 box is physically larger. Which is what dictates many of the above modifications.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
For that size tire, I would take the Delphi box. All new parts, modern manufacturing, modern quality control, and modern design with modern steering feel. The 4x4x2 box would be 35+ tires and running off-road. More used parts, not as refined, a touch more rugged, willing to give up some road feel.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
no question. 4x4x2. that's me.
build for options, one and done.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
On road, new box.

Even tho the 4x4x2 box could have "almost all new parts" all it takes is for the seller to not install something commonly overlooked liked oversized recirc balls (all 28 of them) and you will be wandering all over the road wishing you'd bought the Delphi.

All new is just that. Like Paul said, it literally almost bolts in place and will handle 31"s like they aren't even there

Eoth

Bronco Guru
I installed the Delphi with 33" tires and couldn't be happier. Only short term negative is that after driving with a sloppy rebuilt original box, the steering was so tight that it felt twitchy. Few days of driving and everything feels normal. (funny how you can get used to 6" of steering play).

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I installed the Delphi with 33" tires and couldn't be happier. Only short term negative is that after driving with a sloppy rebuilt original box, the steering was so tight that it felt twitchy. Few days of driving and everything feels normal. (funny how you can get used to 6" of steering play).
I too run the Delphi with 33's. No issues......Big factor with either one you go with is the frame. Knock out the crap spacers inside the frame and overkill it with DOM tubing and weld plate on the inside and outside frame. That box will never move.....

Tim

Attachments

• 20180420_112311.jpg
    20180420_112311.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 52
  • 20180420_112226.jpg
    20180420_112226.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 49

EB70

Contributor
I thought about alot of options. My Bronco had been driving fairly poorly for a long time. I did a lot of stuff to get it driving better, including some extreme things all the while knowing it was the box. I got it decent, but not "hand the keys to a stranger in the ice" good.

But....at the end of the day, I bought the Delphi last spring. 37's with 10" wide wheels. Some snow and sand is all I use it for.

Guess what, no pulling in the ruts, drives nice with side winds. It is pretty nice and I could let most any one drive it now.

Kinda mad that I waited this long to address what I knew was the problem for years. I would have been driving way more than I have and largely it was because of the cranky steering.

I would buy the Delphi and move on. So far mine is great. Love it.

hossbronco

Contributor
On road, new box.

Even tho the 4x4x2 box could have "almost all new parts" all it takes is for the seller to not install something commonly overlooked liked oversized recirc balls (all 28 of them) and you will be wandering all over the road wishing you'd bought the Delphi.

All new is just that. Like Paul said, it literally almost bolts in place and will handle 31"s like they aren't even there
Could you explain more on the oversized recirc balls? I’m using the West Coast Broncos instructions for my 4x4x2 conversion, and the instructions say to “keep the entire valve housing, worm gear shaft and piston stationary with relation to each other as you handle the assembly” to keep the balls from dropping out, but they don’t mention replacing them with oversized balls.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I didn't know anybody that had this done to there's but after going through mine two times trying to get the last bit of slop out of it and I couldn't determine where that "slop or play" in my strg was I took it into Redhead strg. This was last resort as it had been dissected twice trying to find the wear-I was ready to go back to my old Toyota IFS box.

They took us on a tour of their rebuilding facility since my buddy's shop (mostly) but I had also sent boxes there for rebuilds over rhe decades.

I told them every symptom it had and when I picked it up they told me they put oversized balls in it to eliminate the play.

It worked.

I drive it a lot, like when it's not torn apart 150-175 miles/week and I expected it to steer like it should.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
For that size tire, I would take the Delphi box. All new parts, modern manufacturing, modern quality control, and modern design with modern steering feel. The 4x4x2 box would be 35+ tires and running off-road. More used parts, not as refined, a touch more rugged, willing to give up some road feel.
Ditto. Along with my dropping lift to improve on road, my next project will be to replace 4x4x2 box with stock or delphi.

hossbronco

Contributor
I didn't know anybody that had this done to there's but after going through mine two times trying to get the last bit of slop out of it and I couldn't determine where that "slop or play" in my strg was I took it into Redhead strg. This was last resort as it had been dissected twice trying to find the wear-I was ready to go back to my old Toyota IFS box.

They took us on a tour of their rebuilding facility since my buddy's shop (mostly) but I had also sent boxes there for rebuilds over rhe decades.

I told them every symptom it had and when I picked it up they told me they put oversized balls in it to eliminate the play.

It worked.

I drive it a lot, like when it's not torn apart 150-175 miles/week and I expected it to steer like it should.
That’s good to know. I’m a little behind on my build and was considering just taking it to PSC since I don’t live too far away. I might see if they can do something for me.

I wish we had something more like the PSC Big Bore XD as that shaft looks robust. I guess where there’s a will there’s a way. I’m sure the 4x4x2 will be plenty, but if not there’s always something better.

Last edited: