• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

No Oil Pressure new motor

fmcpeters

Just finished putting together my 5.0. I oiled it up with a primer while it was on the stand, everything looked good. Put the motor in and got it started, oil pressure was fine. Started it up again later and no oil pressure. took the line off of my guage at the block and turned it over, very little oil. Put the line back on, pulled a valve cover and tried to prime it again, no oil up through the pushrods. I looked down the distributor shaft and saw some oil moving around. Not sure where to start, could the pump be bad? What else can I check. Thanks for whatever help you can provide.

dbevans2249

Loc.
Buena Park, Ca.
There are several things it could be. It may have broken the oil pump shaft. That would be my first thought since it happened so fast. You may want to remove it to see. Good luck Dave

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Could be an oil galley plug got pushed out too. Pull the pan, see what's in it, then go from there. Very little chance of engine damage if you shut it down quickly.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I would start with oil galley plugs. 3 behind the cam gear, one under the intake.
Don't run it, go back to the priming tool. See if you can tell if one of them is dumping a ton of oil. Then the fun of guessing what to pull. Intake or timing chain cover.

IF those are good, oil pump. Relief valve. Either stuck open or it blew out. Pulling the pan for that one. Well you will be pulling the pan for any of them except the one in the valley.

Another option if you are into playing around a little more before tearing down. Pull the sender and hook up an air line. Start blowing air into the oiling system and stethascope around for the problem. Probably won't learn much but with such a massive oiling problem it might give you a clue if you are still lost.

But about all it could be on a fresh motor is the galley plugs or the pump itself

OP
OP
F

fmcpeters

Pulled the front off today and there was a big gaping hole, where there used to be a plug. Put in a new plug, staked it and the others for good measure. Pulled the oilpan and there it was laying in the bottom. Worst thing is I meant to tap them but forgot to do it before I took it to the machine shop. I would highly recommend tapping these holes if your tearing your motor down. Thanks for all the suggestions.

SwedenBronco

Loc.
Gothenburg, Sweden
Seems like you found your problem, and that's great, another issue I've heard of it that the pick up tube could be to close to the bottom of the oil pan, so the pump creates some kind of vacuum...

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Seems like you found your problem, and that's great, another issue I've heard of it that the pick up tube could be to close to the bottom of the oil pan, so the pump creates some kind of vacuum...

I could see that happening if the pickup was flat on the bottom. I don't remember seeing any that are.

6daze

Any advice on "staking" the new plug? Not sure exactly how to do this.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Take a chisel and punch the block. The metal will mushroom up around the indentation. This makes the hole effectivly smaller and keeps the plug from pushing through. Usually 3 evenly spaced punches will do.

All you want to do is induce a burr that the plug catches on so it can't push out.

6daze

How does this look?

I have some oil weeping from bottom of the cam plate. I assume this is to oil the timing chain?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1306018221.885572.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1306018221.885572.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 29
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1306018244.140017.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1306018244.140017.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 26

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looks pretty decent, but I'd usually like to see just a slight bit more distortion going on.
Just an opinion from the picture though. Others will know better, who've dealt with it more often.

Can't tell from the pic, but is the upper one now staked as well? If not, might as well do both. While you're in there.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So I guess this is a bad thing?

Pretty much, yes. But, it's great for the cam chain!

Glad you got it figured out. Do you think it ran long enough without pressure to do any damage?

Paul

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
How does this look?

I have some oil weeping from bottom of the cam plate. I assume this is to oil the timing chain?

Yes. That oil lubes between the plate and cam bearing journal. Excess flows out and lubes the chain/gears.

6daze

Pretty much, yes. But, it's great for the cam chain!

Glad you got it figured out. Do you think it ran long enough without pressure to do any damage?

Paul

I don't think so. I shut it down pretty quick. Brand new motor, maybe 10 miles on it. Needless to say, my builder and I will have a "talk"

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

fmcpeters

Keep in mind total of 3 plugs, the other one is behind your distributor shaft in that area, a bit recessed but should still be able to get to it.

6daze

Keep in mind total of 3 plugs, the other one is behind your distributor shaft in that area, a bit recessed but should still be able to get to it.

Thanks, I did get that one too. I will get a better pic today.

Sorry to "steal" your thread, I figured why not have all the info here instead of starting my own thread.

OP
OP
F

fmcpeters

No worries at all, hopefully this will save someone else the headaches we had and they will tap those holes while the block is bare.