• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

No power steering after Hydroboost install

guidoverduci

Loc.
NorCal
Finally was able to get it running and ready to test all the new parts on my rebuild. First thing discovered… no power steering. I believe I bled everything correctly. I’ve got a 351w with explorer front setup. I feel like it‘s got to be a pump issue. Here’s some pics in case anything stands out that I screwed up lol.

Attachments

• 53AA1B08-D97E-4C5A-A41B-D870FCDEC4C4.jpeg
    53AA1B08-D97E-4C5A-A41B-D870FCDEC4C4.jpeg
    234.3 KB · Views: 102
  • 2AEAD39F-1851-43C0-8D51-EB98F52C0006.jpeg
    2AEAD39F-1851-43C0-8D51-EB98F52C0006.jpeg
    174.5 KB · Views: 101
  • 19472350-B720-4871-A697-C920A2403EB8.jpeg
    19472350-B720-4871-A697-C920A2403EB8.jpeg
    289.7 KB · Views: 102

1969miller

Contributor
Loc.
Elk Grove
the hose routing on the "T" looks correct. Is the pump stock? The explorer pump most likely wont push enough fluid to run the hydroboost. You can swap that bracket to one made for a saginaw pump, or get an upgraded explorer type pump at Lee power steering.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
lots of guys running hydro boost on an explorer pump.....

few things, is it full of fluid when the engine is running? if not you still have air in the system, and there isn't enough fluid to make pressure. positive the hydro boost is plumbed correctly, I have to go compare to a known functioning system every time.

OP
OP
G

guidoverduci

Loc.
NorCal
lots of guys running hydro boost on an explorer pump.....

few things, is it full of fluid when the engine is running? if not you still have air in the system, and there isn't enough fluid to make pressure. positive the hydro boost is plumbed correctly, I have to go compare to a known functioning system every time.
Yeah, I thought I’ve read that the explore pump should work.. it’s just not the recommended pump.

I feel like I’ve triple checked the plumbing and it’s full of fluid. I’ve cycled the wheels while engine off and on (it was on jack stands both times). No air bubbles come up.

OP
OP
G

guidoverduci

Loc.
NorCal
I will add… the brakes don’t feel right either. Like no pressure. I only backed it out of the garage and back in, but they weren’t grabbing well.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Have someone pump the brakes while you’re watching it should surge into the reservoir. If still in doubt remove the return line from the reservoir, cap the port and place the line in a bucket, fill the reservoir to the top and start the motor fluid should vigorously flow into the bucket.

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is your explorer pump new? Rebuilt? You don't know?
-Is your H-boost new? Rebuilt? You Don't know?

OP
OP
G

guidoverduci

Loc.
NorCal
Is your explorer pump new? Rebuilt? You don't know?
-Is your H-boost new? Rebuilt? You Don't know?
Brand new h-boost kit from WH. It was there MOAB Hydroboost setup. Explorer pump was a rebuilt that I installed with my explorer serp setup. It worked fine before I installed the hydroboost.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Sure sounds like you are not building enough pressure or maybe the By-pass valve is open. (I just went through this on another thread)

Have you double checked your hose routing?

OP
OP
G

guidoverduci

Loc.
NorCal
Sure sounds like you are not building enough pressure or maybe the By-pass valve is open. (I just went through this on another thread)

Have you double checked your hose routing?
Yep, double checked hose routing. How can I check if the bypass valve is open? I’ve seen that as a possible issue in other threads.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Yep, double checked hose routing. How can I check if the bypass valve is open? I’ve seen that as a possible issue in other threads.

I borrowed an inline pressure gauge for PS and it was reading maybe 100 psi. (Should have been like 1200 psi) Explorer PS pump rebuilder had no explanation why the relief valve was on full by-pass, but stood by their work and rebuilt it a second time, with output numbers supplied.

Tiko433

Contributor
I know just enough to be dangerous
Loc.
South West Florida
I just did this kit this week , I had the front tires off the ground. With the motor off I turned the wheel lock to lock several times. I then pushed the pedal several times. Then I started it still with tires up , I went lock to lock again and push pedal several times again. Keep an eye on fluid when I thought I had all the air out it would drop more. Eventually I could feel the pedal start to kick back a little. Also the brakes have to be bleed too. I did opt to put in a new Saginaw pump

OP
OP
G

guidoverduci

Loc.
NorCal
Been reading about making sure the fitting is right on the explorer pump. I can’t remember if I ordered the correct one originally when doing the explorer swap, but everything worked decent before hydroboost. I pulled the fitting and it looks different than the one WH sells. Wondering if this is the culprit? If the relief valve is stuck open presumably with the wrong fitting, will it close if I get the right one? Or are we talking a rebuild here? I might just upgrade to the Saginaw if that’s the case.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Been reading about making sure the fitting is right on the explorer pump. I can’t remember if I ordered the correct one originally when doing the explorer swap, but everything worked decent before hydroboost. I pulled the fitting and it looks different than the one WH sells. Wondering if this is the culprit? If the relief valve is stuck open presumably with the wrong fitting, will it close if I get the right one? Or are we talking a rebuild here? I might just upgrade to the Saginaw if that’s the case.
That was one thing I was thinking about, but I figured since you got the whole kit from WH, you had the right one. It possibly could be the wrong one.

Todd Z.