• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

No spark issue

mkaenel

Bronco Guru
Loc.
La Costa, CA
Okay...issues with the truck continue. Below is what I did and now I can't even get a spark! :mad:

1. Pulled the carb (had it checked and all was fine)
2. Replaced the coil with a brand new one
3. Had the MSD box tested - all was fine
4. Changed plugs - for the hell of it
5. Replaced the cap on the dizzy - because it had a hairline crack in it.

So I put it all back together and nothing! It cranks but will not turn over.

I pulled a spark plug boot off a plug and tested for spark against the valve cover with an extra plug. Simply held it about 1/2 inch away from the valve cover while I cranked it. Nothing firing.

Any thoughts on what to check next?

Thanks,

Matt

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
What kind of ignition system? Points or duraspark or aftermarket?

Check the voltage to the pos side of coil with the ign switch in run. If you have points check the gap.

behemoth

Bronco Guru
Try the plug check again this time holding the plug up against some bare steel.

Just connect the timing light to the plug wire while turning it over and watch for the light to flash. You can check them all this way with the inductive timing lights.

camo36

i had this same problem yesterday/last night. it was ridiculous. i checked EVERYTHING. and i could not get a spark to save my life. so...here are a few questions. WHERE DO YOU have spark? i figured out that i had spark coming from the coil to the distributor, because i had a hold of that wire when i cranked it...bad idea!! so, the next best thing to holding on to it, is putting a plug on that wire coming from the coil, and touching it against something metal. if you have spark there...then it's obviously a distributor problem, and i would have to agree that it may be (although you think it looks fine) your rotor. mine was in perfectly good shape, which is why i checked it off my list in the beginning. but, i replaced it, and i finally had a spark. so, check that. or just replace it. i think mine was 30 bucks or somethin. well worth the better sleep i got last night!! also, you are completely positive that your rotor is inface turning when the engine cranks? leave the dist. top off and watch it. also, can you turn the rotor by hand more than...about 5 degrees? in otherwords, the thing just doesnt spin all together when you try turning it right? that could be a broken shaft then. hope this helps.

mustangtoby

Bronco Guru
Loc.
southwest Colorado
Just holding the plug wire 1/2 inch from ground may not be close enough. I have stuck a screwdriver in it, and hold the metal part of the screwdriver 1/4" from ground and have somone crank it. Make sure no other part of your body is touching the Bronco at this point or you will know for sure if you have spark! No spark there, pull the coil wire out of the dizzy cap and try the same test. No spark there, make sure with a test light you have power to the coil. Just keep working backwards from there.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
he has a pertronix billet distributor.

have you used a test light to see if you're getting power to the coil? call pertronix and see what they have to say. you may have an ignitor that went bad.

OP
OP
mkaenel

mkaenel

Bronco Guru
Loc.
La Costa, CA
If I had a test light that would be great. I am getting really sick of this s**t!

I will see if Nick will be around this weekend.

Matt

he has a pertronix billet distributor.

have you used a test light to see if you're getting power to the coil? call pertronix and see what they have to say. you may have an ignitor that went bad.