• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

No Start No Spark

OP
OP
P

PaulN

Thanks all for the help.

I pulled the starter and tested it with my battery and it wouldn't spin. It would engage and kick out but wouldn't spin which was interesting. I took it to Oreilly's to have them bench test it as well and same thing it kicked out but didn't spin and just started smoking.....wonder if some coils finally broke in the motor.

I put in a new remanufactured starter and it started up right away.

It sounds a lot different starting up though at least a lot quieter of a crank and it sounds almost like there is some drag or that it keeps spinning or whirring for 5-6 seconds after the engine has turned over. Is this maybe because it is a new part with an old flywheel that I didn't clean? I probably should have checked the flywheel and turned the engine to see but I just wanted to see if the starter was actually the problem. Or do the gears just need some time to "mesh" as I've heard before?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is it just a standard replacement starter? Or something else?
You’re still using the same starter relay on the fender?
It really shouldn’t run on after releasing the key back to RUN. So more testing!🙄😉😁

Make sure that voltage on the Red w/blue wire goes to zero when the key is released.
Make sure that voltage goes to zero on the starter side of the relay/solenoid.
Have a helper start the engine while you listen for the starter running on. Maybe it’s just not releasing immediately? Never had that happen, and it shouldn’t sound like it’s cranking. But you might still hear it being spun by the running engine.

Just some thoughts on the subject.