• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Non-Functional Fuel Guage

EarlyElway

Loc.
Shawnee, KS
The fuel guage on my Bronco has not worked since I purchased it from the previous owner. It's a minor issue but it drives me crazy.

My question is, is there a way to troubleshoot this before I turn a minor issue into a large project.

I believe it is an aftermarket main tank and the sending unit appears to be on the top of the tank which is mounted right up agaist the body and floorboards on where the rear seat would be.

My hunch is that it is a faulty sending unit but I think the only way to be certain is to remove the tank which I prefer not to do.

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this issue.

Thanks

wesleydax

if you can get the wire off the sending unit turn key on and ground wire. if wire and gauge are good the gauge will move, once it reaches the full mark unground the wire if you leave it hooked up you could damage the gauge.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
if you can get the wire off the sending unit turn key on and ground wire. if wire and gauge are good the gauge will move, once it reaches the full mark unground the wire if you leave it hooked up you could damage the gauge.

You could also just turn the key off at that point.

If the above checks out you could still have a bad ground at the sender.

75junebug

Loc.
NW Houston Tx
I have an aftermarket 23 gal tank, and the fuel guage never really worked as it should. had to cut a hole in the floor, and made an access cap for access to the sending unit. I have had to change the gasket on the sending unit several times. That being said, I later found out the connector on the back of the fuel guage was not making good contact. I cleaned the plug and pin, and applied some dialectric grease, and slightly crimped the plug to make a tighter fit.I also checked the connectors at the selector switch as well. At 1/4 reading, the tank is about 1/2 full.

OP
OP
E

EarlyElway

Loc.
Shawnee, KS
Thanks for the info fellas.

I also have the aftermarket 23 gallen tank. I think I will start with the guage itself and try to restore the cluster and go from there.

joshnjulie1

Loc.
Moreno Valley, Ca
What about the other gauges that rely on the IVR? Do those work fine? If those are an issue too, root cause could be IVR. How long has the float been in the tank? When I pulled mine it was demolished.

71massbronco

Bronco Guru
You could check just the gauge. Get a 9v battery and put a pos lead to the gauge and neg to ground to make sure the gauge is working properly.

OP
OP
E

EarlyElway

Loc.
Shawnee, KS
Does the wire coming from the tank need to go through the tank selector switch? I unhooked the wires from the selector switch and hooked it directly to the fuel guage but it still is not giving me a reading however it could be empty given I have not been driving it much lately.

I'm just trying to trouble shoot everything before I pull the tank or cut into the floor. I will try the 9v battery test next to see if the guage is functioning.

71massbronco

Bronco Guru
I don't know about 73's but for my 71 There is a selector switch on the dash that activates the gauge from main to aux tanks. Did they switch this up in 73?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Does the wire coming from the tank need to go through the tank selector switch? I unhooked the wires from the selector switch and hooked it directly to the fuel guage but it still is not giving me a reading however it could be empty given I have not been driving it much lately.

I'm just trying to trouble shoot everything before I pull the tank or cut into the floor. I will try the 9v battery test next to see if the guage is functioning.

They need to go through the switch if you have/use both tanks. If only using one tank the sender can be connected direct to the gauge. Check the sender ground wire.