• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Not running issues. I need ideas.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Ok. some quick history. explorer motor 96 0bd2. Been running 5 years no issues. I was steady driving about 45 mph, the motor lost power and quit running. It would not restart. I towed it back to the house. My first thoughts were crank or cam sensor. Plus the front of the motor was pretty greasy so it needed some clean up. I took the front of the motor off. Both crank and cam sensor plugs were cracked and the tabs that hold them together were broken. I ordered the plugs and new sensors. Wired in the new plugs and changed the sensors. Changed the timing chain, re sealed the oil pan and reassembled. Started the motor, kinda. Motor started and ran but very low rpm and no throttle response. Motor stalled and would not re fire. I am pretty sure all my rewiring is correct and the chain replacement is correct. I honestly feel like I missed the diagnosis altogether. But I am puzzled. I need to check fuel pressure but I can hear the in tank pump working. So may not be fuel pressure. So I am looking for ideas. Little help please.
Bax

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Does the cam sensor on that particular model require a specific install and set up procedure?
Maybe the ECM just can’t read it quite right at this point yet?

hsach

Contributor
Members Only
Sounds like fuel issue to me. Having it restart after your work and then stalling out again sounds like a fuel pump issue I had on another vehicle. Did you check the fuel filter? Put a new one in, or bypass it to test. You probably already thought of these, I just wanted to throw out easy stuff to check before you dig deeper.

OP
OP
bax

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Sounds like fuel issue to me. Having it restart after your work and then stalling out again sounds like a fuel pump issue I had on another vehicle. Did you check the fuel filter? Put a new one in, or bypass it to test. You probably already thought of these, I just wanted to throw out easy stuff to check before you dig deeper.
No I like the fuel idea. I can hear the pump run when the key is turned on. But its worth a look.
Thanks for the input.

OP
OP
bax

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Does the cam sensor on that particular model require a specific install and set up procedure?
Maybe the ECM just can’t read it quite right at this point yet?
Cam sensor is pretty easy. I only changed the cap that bolts on and the wiring.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, can you scan codes? If you don't have a fuel pressure gauge you can depress the schrader valve with a small tool. If there is fuel pressure you will see a strong spray. If there is no fuel pressure barely anything will come out of the test port. Good luck

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My '66 with EFI quit once because the hose came off the pump in the tank.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Unplug the MAF and the fuel pump, take off the intake hose to the throttle body. Big can of carb (or brake) cleaner, with the big "flammable" warning on it.
Will it start and run with your spray can fuel delivery? Back at the dealership that is how they would drive a car in that had a bad fuel pump. 2 Guys would walk out to the back lot. One would sit on the engine with the spray can fueling the engine and the other would drive it. One can was enough to get a car off the back lot and into the service bay, and there was a little hill involved as well.

OP
OP
bax

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I will look into the fuel issue tomorrow. Thanks for the information.

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
yep, sounds like lack of fuel, I had a fuel line partially come off in tank where it connects to the pump, only got about 20 psi. that would be my 1st chk anyway

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If it is a rubber hose in the tank that failed there is a good chance it was the wrong hose. There is a special unicorn hose rated for submersion in fuel. Strange as it sounds, fuel hose is not rated for being submerged in fuel. The inner wall is (hopefully) designed to be in contact with fuel but the outer isn't. Being submerged the hose is attacked from the outside. Here is some info on that hose https://www.gates.com/us/en/fluid-power/engine-hose/fuel-line-hose.p.4219-000000-000012.html
Being made of unicorn intestines it is pricey stuff. But it is what you need for inside the fuel tank.

OP
OP
bax

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Its one of WH's stainless tanks with the pump in the tank. Could be a hose or a pick up problem or a filter, or, or ,or... Thanks for the input. Fuel delivery is next as soon as I can get out there to it.
Thanks guys.

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
"I've got an EB with EFI and the Wild Horses 23 gallon tank that has the fuel pump inside tank. Yesterday evening I drove it about a mile to the gym. About an hour later, try to leave and it just cranks but won't fire up. Appears to be a no fuel situation. What's throwing me though is that when key is turned on I can hear whirl of the electric pump."

This was how I started my thread on here when my hose came off inside tank. Here's a link -

OP
OP
bax

bax

Contributor
Old Member
"I've got an EB with EFI and the Wild Horses 23 gallon tank that has the fuel pump inside tank. Yesterday evening I drove it about a mile to the gym. About an hour later, try to leave and it just cranks but won't fire up. Appears to be a no fuel situation. What's throwing me though is that when key is turned on I can hear whirl of the electric pump."

This was how I started my thread on here when my hose came off inside tank. Here's a link -

[/URL]
Well that is interesting because that is where I am at. I can hear the pump but I limited fuel pressure. Schrader valve just kinda dribbles out. Going to your link to check it out.

OP
OP
bax

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Well the link didn't work but I get the idea.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, are you sure there is enough fuel in the tank? I would hate to find out it is just low on fuel, and I would also hate to add fuel to a tank that you may be dropping. Good luck

OP
OP
bax

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Hi, are you sure there is enough fuel in the tank? I would hate to find out it is just low on fuel, and I would also hate to add fuel to a tank that you may be dropping. Good luck
This gave me an idea. I know I had low fuel pressure so if it is the tank pickup then I should be able to fill the tank as full as I can get it and fuel pickup should not be an issue. So I just put 15 gallons in it. Knowing full well either way I will have to take the fuel back out. But I had to try. So cycle the key several times and the sum bitch started and ran good. F Me. So my 1/4 of a tank is now a full tank and it looks like I need to drop the tank and do some fixing. But the good thing is it is running. Thanks for all the ideas. You guys are always good to talk bronco problems too.
Happy Bax.
well kinda.