• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

NSS question

NSG

74 Automatic . Reverse lights are out. I’m not sure how long they’ve been out . I checked NSS with 1/16 punch. I’m able to put through hole but I can not start it in gear. Do I need a new NSS or should I trouble shoot something else first?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Test power to the switch.
Test continuity through the switch.

I would start with those simple tests before throwing parts at it. If the old parts are still working, they are probably in better shape than the new parts you can get today.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
74 Automatic.
That means that in addition to the switch itself you also have a 4-wire connector near the firewall. Make sure it's clean, tight and not otherwise buggered.

Reverse lights are out.
Bulbs, sockets, wires from the firewall on to the back of the vehicle, separate ground wires at the back of the lamp housings.
Dual exhaust? If so then you have to check every inch of wire along the driver's frame rail to make sure there are no pinches, burns, frays or other buggerishness.

I checked NSS with 1/16 punch. I’m able to put through hole but I can not start it in gear.
It's not supposed to start in gear. So as far as that goes, it's working.
But you can have it work as an NSS and still have it fail at the backup lamp section. Two separate functions inside one switch body. As said, chack for continuity and/or voltage going in and out. Easy to do with a cheap multi-meter.

If you have 12v going in on one Black wire and none coming out on the other when the shifter is in Reverse, your switch or the wire has failed.
This is easy to check without getting underneath again by disconnecting the plug above at the back of the engine and testing for power coming in. Then with a jumper wire to one Black wire you can check for 12v coming out of the other.
All of this is last however, as the other checks can and should come first.

Do I need a new NSS or should I trouble shoot something else first?
No way to know yet, so yes you must do some more trouble-shooting.
Pull the lenses and check the bulbs.
Then check the sockets with your multi-meter.
Then pull the housing and check the ground wires. The small ground wires between the housing and the body are mainly for the backup lamps.

paul