• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Observation/product review of Wild Child hinges

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Let me first state that this thread is simply an observation of the Wild Child lift off hinges that I received from the mass buy, and is no way a bashing of a product.

Like most of us, there is no way I can justify spenting $400 on the stainless steel lift off hinges that Wild Horses sells. I have seen them in their show room, and even though they are very well made, they are't worth $400 to me. I got in on the recent mass buy on the Wild Child hinges, and was pretty much expecting a mild steel version of the Wild Horses hinges. I was quite surprised at the hinges when I received them, and now understand why they are so much cheaper than the Wild Horses hinges. The Wild Horses hinges are two single cast pieces whereas the Wild Child hinges are simply two pieces of steel bent and welded to emulate the stock Bronco hinges. Instead of being cast in the final configuration, the door side of the hinge appears that it is simply bent in a sheet metal brake to get the right curve to it. Then, the two pieces that make up the lift off portion of the hinge are simply welded on and ground smooth on the back side. I actually had to grind some weld spatter off of three of the four hinges to get them to fit together correctly.

I offer this observation as a heads up to others who may be considering buying the lift off hinges from Wild Child. I would not say that I am dissapointed in the product as I am sure that they will hold up for many years, but I was quite suprised upon unwrapping them from their shipping material.

dpmerrill

Loc.
Springville, UT
Thanks! I always appreciate hearing someone's opinion who has hands on with Bronco products.

I'm not close enough to any Bronco parts vendors to go see this stuff in person, so I usually have to go off the 2x3" picture on the web sites.

I'm always surprised when I get parts that I ordered. Sometimes I'm surprised at how good they are, and sometimes I'm surprised at how much I overpaid.

KJHill

Contributor
Loc.
Central WA
I just received mine today. I have to agree, they are ruff & dirty. I'll have to do some clean up work before I can Rustbullet them & put them on. Oh well, It's still a better deal than the $400 stainless ones. I hope they work well...

taxx

Loc.
Indianapolis
I don't know what you paid in the mass buy but for the price of those they should come clean and powdercoated. Heck for less than $10 I can get some tubing and a pin and cut some stock ones up and weld the new stuff on and have just as good of a hinge. :eek:

I hear alot of good things about the wild child hinges though. Maybe you got a bad batch or others don't expect as much for > $100. You can tell from the pics they are just bent, but having to put extra work in just to paint them is rediculous at that price. (I understand having to paint, but having to grind and sand is not right for that price). I may buy a set eventually when $100 wears a hole.

hmmmm may have to setup a jig and try and make some from stock hinges soon.

Last edited:

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Justino, I appreciate your honest feedback and reviews too. I feel like you put it very tactfully too. I too have gotten stuff in the past, some stuff that was better than I actually thought it was going to be and other things that I thought were way overrated. It is the overrated stuff though that I often find hard to comment on. Way to step up to the plate for the whole community with some good, honest observation.
But also in the defense of 99% of the companies producing items for our 30 plus year old trucks---hats off to them too! They are taking a challenge to build something for a truck that is often very individual in fit and finish.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
I think if you go back and look at the posts from the original mass buy several months ago that this was discussed. Its also mentioned in one of the vendors (WH) add for their SS versions. Sure they arent as thick as the stock ones, no they arent powder-coated or painted and if they were someone would gripe about how it wasnt the right color. But what they are is good solid pieces that will hold up alot longer than a stock hinge cut to lift off. There is alot more contact area than a stock hinge that has been cut. I have had mine on my truck for about 5 months and they have held up well so far. For just over $100; I think they were a great deal. The velcro straps they offered, now those were dissappointing.

Fathom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
thegreatjustino,

I think this is what this site is for. Thank You for your post.
I also appreciate the tone in explaining your disappointment. So often people flame and their point and sometimes creditbility is lost.

It's great reading post about certain product, prior to purchase, so you can make an informed decision.

Now if I buy these I can deside if I am willing to deal with these shortcomings or spend $300.00 more for some functional Bling Bling. I guess it depend on the look and functionality each individual is striving for.

Thanks Again

Fathom (the not so great as thegreatjustino) ;D

raharr3

Loc.
Linden,Ca
Thanks for posting what the product was IYO. I was surprised by all the hubbub about the hinges when the mass buy was announced. I was also surprised by the quality of the dual battery tray offered by them though. By the pic of the tray I was worried but when I got it I knew it would last for years and was a quality piece.

4x4x289

I’m sorry to hear that you are not totally satisfied. I’m one of those who gave praise to them just prior to the mass buy. I had to break sharp edges and sand mine before painting them, however, my set were of high quality and were precisely made. It looks like a lot of labor goes into them, -cutting, drilling, welding, grinding and sanding, -times eight pieces. For all the labor, even if a little finishing work is still required, they seem like a good deal for the money.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
I was perfectly happy with mine from Wild Child, but I do agree that they are not as pretty or as thick as the WH ones. It's not like I cared since my old hinges were worn out anyway and I hate running doors. Very honest review and I couldn't agree more!

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
just to let you know guys, i've had them on my truck for almost 2 years and they're holding up good. i wasn't really worried about paying $150.00 or the looks. my driver's side hinges were shot, and when i tried to have a shop rebuild them, they screwed up royally. i wasn't happy, but wild child was only 6 miles away and he delivered them. i had been thinking about buying a set for a while (considering that rebuilt stock hinges are $100.00 each), and i installed them. haven't even painted them yet. i'm not really worried about bling.

a little advise, put a little grease in the hole so it's not metal on metal. also, ever so often when i lift the door off, the brass bushing comes off on the door half and it'd be real easy to loose, so keep an eye on it.

Broncrick

Loc.
Nevada City,CA
Got mine last week and put them on this weekend. Yes I had to take them to the grinder to take off some sharp edges (total 10 min's) and paint them MY color preference, but I love them! Great product for the price :cool:

My .02

dan12580

iam definatly happy with my hinges. iam just glad to finally have doors back on my bronco after this wet winter weve been having. i had mine dipped in chrome. cost me 80$. they did a great job and they look beautiful. ill agree that thease my not hold a candle to the wild horses hinges but then again i beleive that they are at least 3/4 as good even though they only cost 1/4 of the price. there is one problem with the chrome though, it makes my paint look even worse.