• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Odd Body Code

mburlew

Loc.
Springfield
I have a U13 with a body code that does not show up in the vin decoder. The body code is 996. Does anyone know what this code means?

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
1=front bench
7=front buckets
9=?
96=roadster

I've seen this asked one other time a while back, and don't remember an answer. Is there a color code indicated on your vin?

OP
OP
mburlew

mburlew

Loc.
Springfield
The 996 body code is on the VIN tag and there is a separate color code 6 on the tag. 6 indicates Pebble Beige. I expected to see 196,696 or 796. 996 has me baffled. This may be a special edition code.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Yep not sure, another 66' mystery. The guy in the other thread mentioned something about it coming from the factory in primer only, but if IIRC he did't have a color code, and could find no other paint existence. It had a special order DSO as well, do you or a two digit DSO?

OP
OP
mburlew

mburlew

Loc.
Springfield
Yep not sure, another 66' mystery. The guy in the other thread mentioned something about it coming from the factory in primer only, but if IIRC he did't have a color code, and could find no other paint existence. It had a special order DSO as well, do you or a two digit DSO?

The DSO is 51 - Denver

The Bronco has been repainted but it appears the original color was Pebble Beige.

It is a 67 U13.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
I was thinking they didn't use the 9 designation for seat color/pattern until the 70's? Or was the 9 indicating that there was buckets with no rear, as opposed to the 7 for buckets with rear?

mburlew, have you done a Marti Report? My 71' came from Denver as well. I was thinking you had a 66' by looking at your garage info.

eaglenest66

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Mike, 996 is very common for the '67 roadster. "9" being parchment bucket and "96" for being the roadster. tim

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
I was thinking they didn't use the 9 designation for seat color/pattern until the 70's? Or was the 9 indicating that there was buckets with no rear, as opposed to the 7 for buckets with rear?

mburlew, have you done a Marti Report? My 71' came from Denver as well. I was thinking you had a 66' by looking at your garage info.

Now after saying that, I'm not 100% sure it didn't have a rear seat. Looked at my Military's Marti and it is 998. Yet it says it was equipped with a rear seat. Dad's 68 Roadster is 9U96, which was parchment buckets with rear seat. Maybe 67 and 68 was different on body codes.

Regardless, 9 is parchment buckets, but IDK about the rear seat part.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Now after saying that, I'm not 100% sure it didn't have a rear seat. Looked at my Military's Marti and it is 998. Yet it says it was equipped with a rear seat. Dad's 68 Roadster is 9U96, which was parchment buckets with rear seat. Maybe 67 and 68 was different on body codes.

Regardless, 9 is parchment buckets, but IDK about the rear seat part.

I'm good with whatever as long as I know that you and Tim know, that way I know who to ask next week when I forget all of this lol!

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
In '66 and '67 the number is a combination of the trim and body codes. First digit is seating (trim) and the last 2 are the body code.

Trim codes
1=bench seat only
6=LH bucket seat only
7=LH and RH buckets only
9=LH and RH buckets with rear seat

Body codes
96=roadster
97=halfcab
98=wagon

So, 996 is a roadster with both buckets and a rear seat.

OP
OP
mburlew

mburlew

Loc.
Springfield

I have not done the Marti Report yet but will as this project nears completion. I have a 66 and a 67.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
In '66 and '67 the number is a combination of the trim and body codes. First digit is seating (trim) and the last 2 are the body code.

Trim codes
1=bench seat only
6=LH bucket seat only
7=LH and RH buckets only
9=LH and RH buckets with rear seat

Body codes
96=roadster
97=halfcab
98=wagon

So, 996 is a roadster with both buckets and a rear seat.

Documented and filed, thanks :)