• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Odd problem with 302

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
I have a 76 Bronco with a 302 - I'm not sure if it is the original motor but suspect it is not.
While replacing the valve cover seals I noticed that the rocker under the oil fill (front, drivers side) is hitting the internal baffel and a hole was knocked in the baffel.
I put another stock cover on and it is hitting it.

Other than that the engine runs great.

What going on?

OP
OP
stout22

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
No, everything appears to be stock. I have not been through the motor so I'm not sure about any internals.

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Doesn't sound if though the rockers are stock or who knows what without looking at it, find some extra thick valve cover gaskets and see if that will work.

ugly74

Bronco abuser
the press in rocker stud isn't pulling out, is it? might be something to check...

OP
OP
stout22

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
Cut the baffle out.

Really, that's what the Ford Racing valve cover instructions say to do.

Why is it hitting to start with?

Could it have taller rockers than stock?

The engine ran great with the old valve cover that had a hole knocked in the baffle.

I pulled the covers because of a seal leak.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
When I put a slightly more aggressive cam in one engine I had clearance issues with the baffle. Took a hammer, went into the lawn and carefully adjusted the baffle to clear the rocker. Problem solved.

But do check that the stud isn't pulling out. common problem. run a straight edge across the top of all the studs, if one is high you will notice it.

OP
OP
stout22

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
I'll check the stud.

It could be the cam because the engine runs strong - no rattles or knocks with good pressure.

This all started with me trying to figure out a bad oil leak. It turns out the oil leak is a dip stick hole in the block on the driverside that is open:p
Unfortunately I didn't find that until after the engine was pulled:mad:

Any sugestions on how to plug this extra dip stick hole?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Dipstick hole in the block on the drivers side is NOT stock for a '76.
You have a late model engine installed my friend.
Look above the starter and give us the casting codes. I bet there is an "E" or and "F" in there and not a "D".

ShortBus

I am not sure if this will help but this is out of my 71';

Attachments

• DSC00005.JPG
    DSC00005.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC00012.JPG
    DSC00012.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 28

dieselracer

Loc.
Citrus Heights, CA
I just installed stock 5.0L valve covers with Crane aluminum roller rockers, and had to remove the baffle for the #1 cylinder rockers to clear. Without the baffle everything is okay.

OP
OP
stout22

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
The hole has been plugged with a 3/8 plug I picked up from NAPA and backed it up with some silicone.

Haven't found any other problems so it's going back together.;D

The motor is a Reman - it has a tag glued to the block next to the water pump on the passenger side but does not say who did the work.

I will do a little hammer adjusment to the valve cover before it goes back on.%)

BUCKETOBOLTS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Salisbury, NC
I swapped my stock rockers for a set of 1.7 roller tip stamped rockers. The tin baffle didn't hit the stock arms but after the swap I had a tick. Sounded just like a lifter had collapsed. Removed the baffle and no more tick...

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Ford Motorsports makes a nice double thick valve cover gasket with a steel core. It allowed me to use the roller rockers and mustang valve covers without removing the baffle.

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
If this is indeed a later engine then it will not have the old style studded rocker arms. It will have the pedestal rocker arms that are torqued to 26 ft Lbs and that's it. No stud to be pulled out Not sure if there is a clearence issue with a new style head and an older valve cover but the newer style roker arms I believe are wider than the older adjustable style.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
He stated it was a reman. No telling what mix of parts they put in it. Heads from here, crank from there, oh, look a usable block to put everything in.

OP
OP
stout22

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
It is a newer engine and does not have the old style studded rocker arms.

Still struggling with putting things back together but getting there. Latest problem is getting a manual flywheel that has the correct hole pattern for my pressure plate. I think I have that resolved so hope to get the tranny back in tonight.

I'm trying to get this thing ready for OCBR and I'm running out of time!