• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

OE Style Tachometer Issue

NJBronk

Contributor
I’ve had the OE Style Tachometer since March 2023 and it’s worked flawlessly. The truck sat for a few weeks and I drove it today and the needle seems to be stuck under the pin (see pics below).

I contacted Tom’s and they’ve never seen this before…. Has anyone run into this?

I’m not sure if I can take the front off to manually move the needle…. I wanted to ask here before trying.

IMG_1868.jpeg

IMG_1869.jpeg

76YETI

Contributor
Loc.
KC METRO
Ask your kid, you thought it has been sitting 😂 No, I've had the same gauge for several years and have never seen this.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Have you tried disconnecting it completely from the electrical yet? Including ground? Just to see if anything changes.

Speedrdr

Contributor
Not so wise OLD owl
Loc.
Paris, MS
How much do you love this particular tach? Take it off the mount and smack it face down in the palm of your hand. If there’s any pressure from the needle against the stop pin, that should allow the needle to “hop” back into its proper position.
As in all things electrical/mechanical, your results may vary.

I have used it on speedometer needles that hopped over the upper peg way back when speedometer cables were hard wire in cars…def not in an EB though.

Randy

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
The only logical way that could have happened is if the needle spun all the way around. As stated, disconnect from the electrical system and see if the pressure on the internals is released allowing the needle to spin back around to its normal resting place.

OP
OP
N

NJBronk

Contributor
It wasn’t all the way around, the pics above are with power to it, then it drops down to 6:00 when the key is turned off.

I started trying to take it apart but I think the bezel is pressed on around the edge so there was no way to disassemble and access the face.

I drilled a small hole at “0” (which can’t be seen from the other side) and used a paper clip to lift the needle up over the pin. Turned the truck on and it seems to be working. I’ll check the rpm’s against my timing light when I get a chance.

Only downside is some small plastic shavings floating around and two small scratches on the silver part. Hopefully the plastic will work its way down to the bottom. Overall not too bad. If it bothers me or rpm’s are off I’ll just get a new one.

IMG_1879.jpeg

IMG_1877.jpeg

Speedrdr

Contributor
Not so wise OLD owl
Loc.
Paris, MS
Only downside is some small plastic shavings floating around and two small scratches on the silver part. Hopefully the plastic will work its way down to the bottom. Overall not too bad. If it bothers me or rpm’s are off I’ll just get a new one.
May be able to take a vacuum (shop vac or maybe a keyboard vac) cleaner and suck the shavings out.

Randy