• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Oil Blow Back Through the Dipstick

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
I recently discovered oil was being forced out of the top of the dipstick and down onto the block. I thought the leak was initially coming from the bottom of the dipstick tube, but I now know otherwise. Any idea why this is happening?

orange69

I had the same problem w/ mine. Sounds like your PVC valve is not working or in my case it was the tube coming out of the valve cover on the passenger side was plugged. Make sure your engine is vented in some way with a PVC valve and a crankcase filter ( or what ever you call that filter thing on top of the vavle cover). Hope this helps.

JTCamp

Loc.
Austin, Texas
Your rings could be worn out, like mine, and allowing combustion pressure to leak into the crankcase and forcing the oil up the dipstick. Might want to do a compression test to determine the condition of your rings. <br><br>John

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Everyone is condeming the rings and PCV valve. My dipstick oil leak that I had once was very simple. I didn't push the dipstick all the way down. I left it up to remind myseld to check the oil before a road trip. Later I did check it, everything was covered in oil. It had misted up out of the dipstick hole.<br><br>Make sure the dipstick is fully seated in the tube.<br>Make sure that the PCV valve is working.<br>Make sure that the engine has a fresh air vent (usually a vented fill cap)<br>Don't overfill the crankcase either, that does all kinds of wierd things.<br>Then after all that, you might have bad rings.

c2computer

Loc.
Castle Rock, CO
I had the same problem when I had my engine rebuilt. Seems the pressure was too high and had no where to go except there. Put a breather on the driver side, pcv to the carb on the pass side. Works much better.