• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Oil leak after replacing fuel pump

hboutlaw

Loc.
Huntington Beach
After replacing the mechanical fuel pump we've developed a pretty serious oil leak. This is on a 71 302 stroked to 347. At first I thought it was the new fuel pump but when I put another fuel pump but noticed when tightening the bolt towards the front of the engine that the threads had been stripped...bummer. Shining a flashlight up to inspect the fuel pump mounts I can see leak was still there but what's worse is it appears a small piece of the block where the bolt screws into may have failed and chipped off. There is a much longer story behind the replacement of the fuel pump that I won't bore you with...has to do with my son deciding to do the work when I was traveling.
Questions:
How do you fix this?
Can I cap it and use an electric fuel pump or regardless of using a cap or pump I'm still faced with a significant task of welding the block?
If the electric fuel pump is an option, which fuel pump is recommended and where should it be placed for best performance?
That's a long story with a lot of questions but I'm faced with some big dilemma right now.

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
The fuel pump should go into the timing chain cover. It does on my 74 302. You could put a block off plate, but if the bolt holes are stripped or cracked it might be hard to seal. The only other way is to replace timing cover.

Attachments

• IMG_2482.jpg
    IMG_2482.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
H

hboutlaw

Loc.
Huntington Beach
Oh, that is really good to know. I didn't realize it went into the timing cover I thought it was into the block. Still a lot of work but at least not a block welding job. Probably still going to suck to do...I haven't done the timing cover on this engine before. Guess I have more research to do to learn how to do that right:)

TN1776

Bronco Guru
Timing chain cover is no big deal. Yes you have to strip all your accessories and it helps to pull the radiator for more clearance, but it is very doable without pulling the engine. I did mine shortly after installing my engine (decided to go with a reverse water pump, etc).

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
You'll need a puller for the harmonic balancer if it has been on for a while. I'd spray it with PB blaster and let it soak a bit.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I stripped out the threads on a fuel pump boss once. I really didn't want to tear it down so I drilled and retapped the hole to the next size. I had to replace the bolt with one with an allen head because there wasn't enough clearance for the larger socket. I later replaced the cover when doing an overhaul. It's not perfect, but it's an option if there is still enough material to rethread the hole.