• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Oil Leak Behind Water Pump

Crainbow243

I have noticed an oil leak near the water pump and I am not sure where it is coming from. took some pictures of where it is pooling up.

smokinjoe

Bronco Guru
Loc.
New Braunfels, TX
Can't tell off my phone and my work filter is blocking the pics on my desktop. But I'd guess distributor o-ring but more than likely timing cover. It looks dry around the dizzy's base which inclines me to think timing cover.

smokinjoe

Bronco Guru
Loc.
New Braunfels, TX
Fan comes off, accessories come off, water pump comes off, harmonic balancer comes off, loosen 4 bolts from the oil pan to the bottom of the timing cover. Snap bolts running through timing cover by cooling jackets %)

It's not terribly hard but definitely time consuming. Basically the front of your motor comes off until it looks like this

p9280188.jpg

Then you pull the cover and you're here

bronco_water_leak5.jpg

Then your OCD kicks in (if you're like me) and you figure you might as well replace the chain.

Then you're rebuilding your engine. :-X j/k In all seriousness it's not terrible but a lot of work.

tirewater

Loc.
San Francisco Bay Area
Distributor o-ring, intake manifold, timing cover or cylinder head. Take your pick. :) Your valve cover looks fine though.

None of those are pressurized with oil, so leaks should be just be seepage.

Clean up the area and keep an eye on it to pinpoint the leak. Likely distributor o-ring or intake manifold.

Is your PCV working? A pressurized crankcase could exacerbate any leaking areas.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Wash it thoroughly before trying to pinpoint the leak source. The timing cover is a big job (especially if you do it right, and drop the pan first), so don't dive into it until you've determined that you have to. Personally, I always follow leaks forward & UP, and that takes me AWAY from your timing cover. My first thought was intake.

Rymadd

Definitely looks like the front china wall under the intake if I had to guess. Had leaks there before and it pools up in the timing chain cover exactly like that, But like everybody else said, pressure wash it and then keep an eye on where its coming from.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Spray it down good with easy off oven cleaner first then rinse off. I'm goin with front of intake also .

smokinjoe

Bronco Guru
Loc.
New Braunfels, TX
I hope everyone's right and I'm wrong, intake would be a lot easier than a timing cover! But like everyone said, clean the hell out of it and pin-point it exactly before you starting replacing anything.

OP
OP
Crainbow243

Crainbow243

Any suggestions on where to get gaskets for this engine as well as a carb rebuild kit? need some engine touch up parts like that and I haven't found a good place yet.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Most all the parts houses have the carb kit and most any of the gaskets you would need. Napa would probably be my first choice .

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And if you do end up needing to remove the front cover, just take out the radiator rather than fighting around it. It "looks" like plenty of room to maneuver your hands and tools around in there, but it really isn't all that straightforward.
Taking the radiator out first gives you a TON of extra room.

Paul

OP
OP
Crainbow243

Crainbow243

Yeah I am about to order a bunch of small parts for the engine and was looking for a good online parts site that you guys may have used in the past.