• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

oil pan removal and re-install

jcasey12

I have a 70 Bronco, original 302 and 3 speed manual trans. I finally got the oil pan off, but only by lowering it as far as possible then reaching in and unbolting the oil pump and pick up tube and dropping it into the pan. I'm ready to re-install but hate to try to do it in reverse of what I had to do to get it off. The Chilton's book makes it sound like a simple process of unbolting the pan itself and removing then re-installing it. I'm finding there is simply not enough clearance to allow that. What am I missing? What is the best way to re-install this thing?

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
To put my 7 quart pan on ,I jack the front up high enough to put two jacks under the front frame rail on both sides then lowered the jack to extend the front suspension, to make room.

bbow

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ozark, Alabama
To put my 7 quart pan on ,I jack the front up high enough to put two jacks under the front frame rail on both sides then lowered the jack to extend the front suspension, to make room.

Dido. Just did mine yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
You have to let the front axle hang down and probably need to remove the track bar at the upper mount.

OP
OP
J

jcasey12

Thanks so much guys. I'll give it a try today. I hadn't thought of lowering the suspension to gain clearance, but certainly makes sense and easier than raising the engine.

bbow

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ozark, Alabama
Thanks so much guys. I'll give it a try today. I hadn't thought of lowering the suspension to gain clearance, but certainly makes sense and easier than raising the engine.

I just put my high-lift jack under the front bumper and lifted it up enough to pull it out.

1969 Bronco

Loc.
west TX
Disconnect the front shocks for a couple inches of extra clearance. I just changed mine out this past weekend.

OP
OP
J

jcasey12

OK, finally got it done. I had to do the "jack it up and use jack stands under the frame, and also unbolt and lower the high end of the track bar. Again, I thank all of you who offered advice.