• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

One part of our hobby that sickens me

Broncobowsher

Total hack
To be clear..I didn't see it as a high end build (except for the amount that must have been spent what with a $71.5k base project cost). That's why I put in quotation marks.

Well I hope they are happy with a Bronco now worth $45k

As for the new bodies and frames, you have to find a shop capable of putting them together. From the pictures above, this shop does a better job of ordering stuff out of a catalog than figuring out how to put everything together.

eaglenest66

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It's interesting to see everyone's take on the latest development of the '66 bronco I created to stock historical perfection a few years ago. Originally, I purchased the Wyoming $500 junkyard dog as a parts rig. Seeing the unsalted condition of the body and frame, decided to restore to her former glory in hopes that I could sell to a collector and replenish my bronco account. What made this restoration extra special is that I could do it with those "hard to find parts", revealing a true 1966 specimen to an owner for the shear pleasure of having such a prominent rig. And that's exactly what happened! Within three hours of putting it up for sale, investors from all over hit it hard and fast. It did sell and went to a gentlemen that owned another historical vehicle - 1967 Shelby GT350 with matching Wimbledon White paint. And with the other potential buyers, they kept inquiring when the next one was going to be available?! But coming across another of its kind is a story in itself as we all know how hard it is to find those diamonds in the rough.

Time went by until I received notice that the owner now became the seller, commissioning Indy Mecum last year. And then of course I find out its new owner is one of those "bronco builders". Of course I had that weird feeling as I knew it may be the end of the road for such a beauty. I have to say the builder did catch "hell" by comments/posts when listed as a potential build on their Instagram and website accounts. Eventually he pulled back his offer and said it was his favorite for "personal keep" in stock form. I knew that was not the case but no more stir until yesterday.

So like many of you stated, why take a perfectly restored rare rig such as this and turn it into a ho-hum build?! Especially with the aftermarket frames, bodies and parts being available today? Don't get me wrong, I love the builds and I love all broncos, especially the early ones. But I don't understand sacrificing survivors and restorations. Then again, I'm not operating that kind of a business either. I'm just a passionate enthusiast and collector. One more uncut "special" survivor bites the dust!

Attachments

• -7UWm3qw.jpg
    -7UWm3qw.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 98
  • DyKzaeJA.jpg
    DyKzaeJA.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 89
  • We27kCjA.jpg
    We27kCjA.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 83
  • 5AF4581D-DE51-4361-B779-835F561F1595.jpg
    5AF4581D-DE51-4361-B779-835F561F1595.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 89
  • ezVNFEkA.jpg
    ezVNFEkA.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 88
  • lgpIiFcy.jpg
    lgpIiFcy.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 90
  • bN4FvfzQ.jpg
    bN4FvfzQ.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 93
  • W1CVUPwQ.jpg
    W1CVUPwQ.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 98

eaglenest66

Contributor
Bronco Guru
These are the last pics. Many others including how original and in need of a restoration back then, but unfortunately on an old computer I can no longer post pictures from. Btw, the selling price three years ago was a drop in the bucket compared to today's asking price!

Attachments

• f2E_fVAg.jpg
    f2E_fVAg.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 83
  • duC2ef-Q.jpg
    duC2ef-Q.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0063.jpg
    IMG_0063.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0184.jpg
    IMG_0184.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 77
  • 6b2n2RAw.jpg
    6b2n2RAw.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 72
  • AqeumcYA.jpg
    AqeumcYA.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 69

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
As for the new bodies and frames, you have to find a shop capable of putting them together.

That’s for sure and that bunch that butchered this poor truck can hardly hang doors. If that can’t just bolt it on and smear some lipstick on it they can’t do it. I’ve never respected anything I’ve seen come out of that shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
These are the last pics. Many others including how original and in need of a restoration back then, but unfortunately on an old computer I can no longer post pictures from. Btw, the selling price three years ago was a drop in the bucket compared to today's asking price!

Tim it breaks my heart to see your work disgraced like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Ouch... thanks for sharing brother

Well folks, here is what Tim’s former meticulously restored ‘66 turned into, thanks to the douches at Classic Ford Broncos.

Disclaimer: Yes, I’m upset. I don’t need a lecture about how “money has brought this along, this is just the new way with the value of our trucks” or “they can do what they want, it’s theirs”. This is pathetic and idiotic. I don’t care who disagrees, this should never happen with a build like this.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Butchering a survivor that has been restored for yet another so called "high end" build is especially wasteful considering the better options available today. Kincer frame that's 2" wider, stronger with Better suspension options and DC bodies make the destruction of an original almost criminal as well as stupid.

yes lawd…..

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL

I heard that.. that is one fine looking rig too

bcmbcmbcm

Loc.
Wellington Fl
Great thread. I like mine cut with 31s and steel wheels like would have been seen in the 70s. With EEC IV Mustang roller motor just because I grew up robbing an 87 engine with a diaper. But I would never throw away something so special like this 66. Even when I removed my stock drivetrain, I made sure it went to someone appreciative here on the forum.

May I ask how you know this special 66 ended up the hohum build at Classic Ford Broncos?

I think I see it on their site for $125k.

Looking at their client testimonials it appears as if they are celebrity clients who just want it now.

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Isn't this it???

Yes, it was listed as purchased for a while, then pulled off the market when he couldn’t make a quick $40k. The one I posted pics of cut and lifted is unmistakably it after modifications. Confirmed by the builder/previous owner.

eaglenest66

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Isn't this it???

That's it! But not sold off. Probably marked as sold to make it look good. It is the bronco that is cut and lifted now for $125k. Even after seeing all the goods attached to the bronco, the chrome nos rearview mirror attached to the windshield is the key confirmation piece for me. Hard to find and nobody does this, especially builders. Plus I also spoke with a good buddy of mine yesterday who personally spoke to the owner to inquire about the unique '66 parts removed. The caps, tires, rims and seat all shelved for now. Not sure about the hardtop or horn ring.

77Bronco636

Tim
Its a real shame to see this happen to such a great example of a true 66 Bronco. I hope the buyer is aware of what they are getting...as we all know the 66 Broncos are not “the best” Broncos out there for a daily driver (one of the reasons Ford made a lot of changes between 66-68 and then continued to improve through 77). Even with all the modes the seller has done that truck may not be enjoyable to drive (They may have made it worse then in stock form), big tires, small brakes, small axels, not sure if it has power steering or not, looks like power brakes were added....
As always people are free to do what they like as it is their truck....but it is heart breaking to see this happen to such a nice restoration.....as always Tim I enjoy seeing the pics of this rig when you found it and what if turned into (one hell of a nice example of a 66)...but now its just another “Bronco for hire situation”.......
Paul

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Even with all the modes the seller has done that truck may not be enjoyable to drive (They may have made it worse then in stock form), big tires, small brakes, small axels, not sure if it has power steering or not, looks like power brakes were added...

It does have power steering now. But as fordfan pointed out, still drum front. Check out the proportioning valve location...

Attachments

• 78B26DDB-B947-4A8B-98BB-165495C3CA60.jpg
    78B26DDB-B947-4A8B-98BB-165495C3CA60.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 152

77Bronco636

It does have power steering now. But as fordfan pointed out, still drum front. Check out the proportioning valve location...

thanks JG for pointing out the power steering....and :eek: on the proportioning valve......

Seeing those clean inner fender wells, all the correct clips for the wire harness....breaks my heart all the effort put into this truck to make a true survivor has been wasted.......

mustanggarage

Contributor

that is where wild Horses MOAB brake system mounts the proportioning valve.

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
I think it's a strong reminder that if you pour years of blood, sweat and tears into a project and you sell it, all of your hard work could be for naught, other than the dollar amount you got for it.

Everyone is trying to turn a quick buck now; preservation be damned.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
As stated throughout this thread, the argument isn't that people can't build the Bronco they want to, but doing so out of one with historical value and prestige is just plain stupid.

By your rationale, it would be perfectly fine for whoever paid $3 million for the Bullitt Mustang a few years ago to cut it all up, put coil over suspension on it, rack and pinion steering, aftermarket custom interior, new engine and drive train, big ass stereo, and whatever else they wanted and not expect people to be up in arms over it.

This is like the idiots at Rocky Roads turning the Balloon Chaser Bronco they had into another of their run of the mill builds.

My rationale is, it's theirs, not yours or mine. I would never cut up a survivor. I saved two 66 roadsters, one is the blue one asking over $40k for it. Mine is original paint because I just can't see trying to replicate grabber blue, I like the patina:) I get it, but all this arguing over doing stuff to vehicles owned by others, so what, it's theirs, I don't care. Using your rationale we should all be angry people put in coyotes.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Using your rationale we should all be angry people put in coyotes.

Not at all. The rationale is don't mess with vintage vehicles that have prominence. There are tens of thousands of run of the mill Broncos out there that you can cut up, modify, and beat the crap out of without issue. Why do it to one that has historical prominence?

Build a Shelby clone out of a run of the mill 1969 Mustang fastback. No problem. Build one out of a Boss 302 car and you're just as stupid at the guy being bashed in this thread and Rocky Roads for destroying the Balloon Chaser they had.