• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Optima Red Top VS Yellow Top

Red Top VS Yellow Top

• Red Top

Votes: 23 59.0%
  • Yellow Top

Votes: 16 41.0%

• Total voters

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
Were both of these newer batteries?

I don't know the date on the EB one, but guessing 2004-5, the Stang is a Sept 06 batt, yesterday it was showing 10v, opened the door and the dome light dimmed right out, and then showed 4v, let it charge a few hours and will try again tonight.
I have been warr the stang batt for at least 7 years now, the first year is always fine, then down hill. I have checked for a drain, and can only fine .001 on the 10 amp scale. that should me memory on the clock, and not enough drain.
Awhile back I saw an ad for a Diehard Platnium, that is going to be my next try!

OP
OP
SC74

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
DieHard Platinum... cheaper or relatively same price. No bling factor, just pure functionality.

I've looked at the DieHards but I want dual post - I usually run the truck off of the top post and winch from the side post. The reviews on the sears website have multiple comments about the side post breaking off due to poor design :( Other than that I would be all over it.

johnpaulgolf

Loc.
Savannah GA
Dual Post

optima_34m_200op.jpg

Done!!;D

Great service great prices ... and they stand behind there products 100%
http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com/blue_top_battery.asp

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
optima's or any sealed battery like them just striate up suck. i been through 4! my brother 6! my buddy corey 3! my bro switched to the orbital marine battery and gone through 3 but we found out his alt was full of tank trap mud and sand but they seem to work better sense his new alt and has not had any problems with them and they are duel post and way way way cheaper then OP'S. i did have one that broke its holding clamp and was leaning against my alt fan;D and it still worked with a massive hole in the side that was cool.

TTTGOWYO

Tyler T. - EB Obsessed
Loc.
Louisville
I had a yellowtop that died pretty quickly. The chepo Die Hard I have in her now kicks it's ass. It would be hard for me to buy any Optima again..

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
im running the battery autozone sells for the powerstroke....i tell you what i love that battery it will throw my motor around like a kid throws his first fish in the water!;D

VBH289

Loc.
Colorado
Watched a redtop get eaten by an alternator and it still works, even after it vented a cell

kntr

Bronco Guru
The older Red Tops were awesome. The newer ones are junk. I went through 2 red tops every year for about 3 years. The place were I get my batteries wont even sell Optima anymore. They told me they have never had one last more than a year anymore.

OP
OP
SC74

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What I like about the red top is that it carries a 3 year replacement warranty. But, what good is a warranty when you're who knows how far from the store you bought it and in a bind.

This is from Summit's warranty info page..

Optima Battery Red Top batteries have a 72-month warranty. They carry a 3-year replacement warranty and are prorated after 3 years.

Yellow Top batteries have a 1-year replacement warranty that is prorated after 1 year.

Optima 31 Series batteries have a 2-year replacement warranty.

Blue Top batteries have a 36-month warranty. They have an 18-month replacement warranty and are prorated after 18 months.

OP
OP
SC74

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I wonder if there is a difference in batteries depending on where you buy them... autozone vs. a battery specialty store.

I know Dewalt has different grades of power tools depending on who they are going to and the price that store pays/sells (or have heard that - can't back it up though).

77BroncoWag

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've looked at the DieHards but I want dual post - I usually run the truck off of the top post and winch from the side post. The reviews on the sears website have multiple comments about the side post breaking off due to poor design :( Other than that I would be all over it.

why install the side posts? I just used those little side post bolts??? that hold my winch cables on. I looked at mine and can't figure where they would break off at....