• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Optima

bronco-13

Ok, tired of the "walmart" battery the PO put in. Sucker has leaked and removed the paint from my brand new battery tray. Time for a Optima. Question is, which one, Red, Blue, Yellow. Which one are you guys using? B

dave316

Loc.
otsego MN.
I have ran a red top for years. I have had problems starting after getting out of storage. always have to charge it even with the battery unhooked (they can suck to charge if they get low) after first charge of the year works great but spendy

Pedestrian

Bronco Missionary
My Optima red top is working fine. My blue top was totally bulletproof even though it was not designed for automotive use.

Given the manufacturing changes at Optima, I would go with the Odyssey. Pretty sure you can get them as the Platinum series Die Hard at Sears.

MattW

I have a red top in mine. I know some people don't like them anymore do to the changes, but mine hasn't let me down.

NMBronco77

Loc.
White Rock
Look into the Deka Intimidater. I have a dual battery set-up with two of them and I am very satisfied. PLUS the customer service at Deka is second to none in my opinion.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I put a red top in mine. I decided to give it a try even after all the bad talk they get. I bought mine at Costco and the price was only about $40 more than an Autozone special... Couldn't really justify spending $100 more for the Odyssey, at least that's the local price:eek:.

bad 68

Loc.
Northest Washington
I had dual red tops that lasted ten years. Then swiched to yellow tops. They do have more reserve.
Opitimas will discharge from just sitting. And it only takes about a month. Thats my biggest gripe. But if you use them regularly they pack a lot of amps and never leak all over your nice engine compartment.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Optima's quality has gone down the shitter the last couple of years.

Completely true, I got three years of use out of mine before it would lose it's charge after not being used for a week. I've had off the shelf auto part store batteries last for seven years.

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
Odyssey. Optima's quality has gone down the shitter the last couple of years.

Couple? They've been crap the last 5 years at least..
Prior to 2003 Optima was THEE name in offroad batteries.
But then their manufacturing process changed. They were bought out and mass sold in multiple discount stores, they weren't as good. One of my yellow tops from 2003 is still going strong. My other yellow top from 2003 failed and I purchased the Deka Intimidator which was recommended by many on this site.
Picked up the new Deka Intimidator 9A78DT from the local Owens Auto Supply for $149.00.

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
I got a red top, it was made back in jan 09 and covered in dust, still had a full charge.
I got sick of my battery doing that as well,thus why i went with optima...also with checker's price match i got it for $130.

ill get another one.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I can top that. I have one of the old (pre-bought out) yellow tops from 1999 that is still going.

Bought a couple around '05 and all the new ones are now dead. They were dead years ago. The one good thing about an Optima dying is that I find they do it progressivly. Many of the normal batteries will be fine, come out of the store and it doesn't have enough power to run a watch. The Optima just goes downhill and gets weak.

The Oddossey can also be had at Sears as the DieHard Platnium and is usually a better cost. Easily available.

Hank_

Bronco Guru
This is what I had in my jeep and I just purchased one for my bronco. I made some long pulls with my winch on my jeep and this battery never slowed down. Deka intimidator

main_medium.jpg

Henry

SSDDBRONCO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
not to hi jack this thread ;D but what would most of you guys recommend the Deka Intimidator or the Odyssey Battery??

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
I have a Yellow top in my 2004 4Runner as a 2nd battery and just installed a Red top in my Bronco. I haven't had any problems.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I've got the new Diehard Platinum Marine deep cycle. So far I like it a lot.