• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Original 66’ U14-Upgrade or Not?

Biddy

Loc.
Mississippi
Recently joined the forum, awesome site btw. I have my Great Grandfathers 66 half cab. It’s in great shape, but needs some,work, been sitting in a barn since the late 80’s. My thoughts are to do some upgrades like disk brakes, lift kit (LUBR), maybe power steering, and a different color. Will this diminish the value long term like 50 years from now. I plan on tagging and storing all original parts that are being replaced. Just in the planning stage right now, probably be a few months before I get started. Did some research on the VIN this weekend it’s an August 65 build (735178).

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Post some pics if you can, "great shape" doesn't mean the same thing to everyone. The disk brakes, lift, power steering won't hurt the value, those things are easily returned to stock if needed. As far as panels and paint, pics will help determine that. Must be arcadian blue or springtime yellow if you're wanting a color change? Welcome by the way.

elan

Loc.
s
I like my Broncos "stock" and my women straight. Don't do it...
Lifting a vehicle that was "never that safe in the first place" does nothing for safety.
Color change...nope. bad idea.
Power steering, why?
I know my stuff. Been doing collector cars for decades. Not bragging, just stating facts.
If you have a very close to original Bronco that early then move on to another and sell the '66 or keep it and count your lucky stars you didn't mess it up

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I usually reply with do whatever you like, its your rig and that still stands now. However, with a bronco that has such and early vin I would seriously look at restoring to original and find another to build. Or as Elan suggested sell it to someone that will restore and go buy a builder.

bulletpruf

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Recently joined the forum, awesome site btw. I have my Great Grandfathers 66 half cab. It’s in great shape, but needs some,work, been sitting in a barn since the late 80’s. My thoughts are to do some upgrades like disk brakes, lift kit (LUBR), maybe power steering, and a different color. Will this diminish the value long term like 50 years from now. I plan on tagging and storing all original parts that are being replaced. Just in the planning stage right now, probably be a few months before I get started. Did some research on the VIN this weekend it’s an August 65 build (735178).

I'd do it. Just stick with bolt-on stuff and you'll be fine on resale.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, First I need to say I assume most guys have a decent tool and and can do most of the basic mechanic 101 stuff at home. No matter what, you will need a repair guide like a Chilton's Manual.
if I had a Bronco like yours sounds like, I would get it running and road worthy, meaning tune up, brakes (very important), grease, oil, maybe flush out the gas tank, etc. Running and driving so you are comfortable and not worried about making it home.
Then enjoy the Bronco for a while. We all love our Broncos. People all over love the Broncos. You will soon see.
Take everyone in the family out for a some rides.
You will meet many people who all have different opinions on what you should do to your Bronco. Leave it as is, restore to better then new, bigger motor, turn it into Bigfoot.
The reality is it is only original once. I've had my 66 U14 over 30 years and I'm still learning about the unique early 66 only pieces.
We don't know if your great grandfather did any modifications.
Many guys here spend major money on their Broncos. Figure out your budget while you come up with ideas. Time is also a big factor. Some guys here have been restoring there Broncos for many years. That is many years of parts all over the garage and no seat time.
When I started my Bronco was a rusty crusty shop truck. No seat or back window. Barely running. So it was not a good Bronco for preservation. But it was always an attention getter. Now it is a restored driver. Check it out n my garage.
Become a contributor to the site for $12 a year and upload some pics.
Good luck

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
I used to say its yours do as you like. But as others have said if it is very original then try too keep it that way. They are only original once. Finding ones that have not been cut or restomoded is getting hard to do. The 66s have a real following and some very hard to come by parts. Post some pics of the truck and people will give you an honest option of what should be done. If its already cut, modified, or has none of the 66 goodies than go for it and make it your own.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
50 years from now it wont matter what you do, you will be looking for an electric conversion parts or a flux capacitor.

OP
OP
B

Biddy

Loc.
Mississippi
Thanks guys for all the feedback. I will try and get the Bronco cleaned up this weekend and post some pics (it’s been in the barn since 2000). The few things that aren’t original that I know of:
The paint was cracking really bad so I had it repainted in 2000 to prevent rust, I did get it done in the original Springtime Yellow
My great grandfather added a hood ornament for some reason???
The front bumper is shop made, he had a winch on it.

It’s been in the family a long time and I hope to pass on to my son one day. Just asking y’all thoughts because I don’t want to do something that I might regret one day, or screw up the potential future value.

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
love these stories. All I can say is I yanked the 170 out of mine in favor of a V8, but if it had been my Great Grandpa's I probably would not have. Good luck and look forward to pics!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Thanks guys for all the feedback. I will try and get the Bronco cleaned up this weekend and post some pics (it’s been in the barn since 2000). The few things that aren’t original that I know of:
The paint was cracking really bad so I had it repainted in 2000 to prevent rust, I did get it done in the original Springtime Yellow
My great grandfather added a hood ornament for some reason???
The front bumper is shop made, he had a winch on it.

It’s been in the family a long time and I hope to pass on to my son one day. Just asking y’all thoughts because I don’t want to do something that I might regret one day, or screw up the potential future value.

great story.. Pic info

https://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34373

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The hood ornament is probably no big deal. A period correct owner modification.
Same for the winch bumper.

It's the nostalgia of how they were that is the appeal. They were rarely 100% stock a week after they left the showroom floor, many were not even stock as they left the showroom floor. But it is the period in time that makes them special. Modern engines, 22" wheels, takes that away.

It's easy to take grampa's log cabin in the woods and throw a fat stack of money at it and make yourself a new McMansion. Won't have the history or character of the original place.

So are you bringing the Bronco out to preserve this history and memories of your grandfather? If so just keep it the way it was. Get it running and just maintain it.

If this has nothing to do with your grandfather. It's just an old car that nobody has any memories of. Do what you want.

As for taking off the old parts and saving them so they can go back on. I know a few people that tried that. Never going to happen. End up getting so modified that there will never be the way it was. You are fooling yourself if you think that is going to ever happen. Best it will ever be is a hoard of junk with 3 good pieces for someone else doing a restoration in 20 years.

Tonyduc

I also have an early 66, made in August, likely a Bud body. I am not a collector but I think Bud body (which is the company that made the prototypes) might be more collectable, Ford took over body making latter half of 66. Check threads on what distinguishes Bud body - eyebrow grille, drain gutters around top of floor pans, etc. I did a modest restoration and the only mod I did was while installing a Painless wire harness, slightly larger opening in engine bay for harness.

Good luck
Tony

OP
OP
B

Biddy

Loc.
Mississippi
Finally got time to get the ole bronco pulled out of the shed and cleaned up. Thought I would share a few pics. I have quickly realized these 66’s are hard to figure out.

Attachments

• E4D2F5B3-6BBC-47D4-B6D3-1A321C4D307F.jpg
    E4D2F5B3-6BBC-47D4-B6D3-1A321C4D307F.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 33
  • CD36DF76-7CA9-4188-B309-D92A710FFD9E.jpg
    CD36DF76-7CA9-4188-B309-D92A710FFD9E.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 4ACAA30F-0656-45BD-8524-F1D8DE07D6BD.jpg
    4ACAA30F-0656-45BD-8524-F1D8DE07D6BD.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 36

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Knock off the bumper, put on a stock one.

Spend your time maintaining and enjoying it. That is a survivor. Rare and only getting rarer as people take a good survivor and restore it or modify them. What you currently have is the most desirable version there is, surviving. Spend some time doing new rubber (hoses, belts, etc.) Enjoy the simplicity that it is.