• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Parasitic draw on FLD wire to alternator

Mybronc

Loc.
Dothan, Alabama
I have found a parasitic draw at my alternator. I used the test light method on the negative post and negative cable. My 74 has a stock type alternator with external regulator and new painless wiring. After checking all of the fuses, to no avail, I moved to the alternator. The light goes out when the FLD wire is removed from the alternator. My question is: is the problem with the alternator or the regulator or something else? What do I replace? Thanks for any help.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Do you have power at the fld wire when its unhooked? key off of course. If so then its probably the regulator.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Do you have power on the "I" wire on the regulator?

Yes, you have bad wiring keeping the charging system alive
No, regulator is bad

OP
OP
M

Mybronc

Loc.
Dothan, Alabama
Ok, no power to the I terminal (no wire attached per painless install instructions). So, it sound like a bad regulator. I'll replace the regulator and post an update. Thanks for the help.

OP
OP
M

Mybronc

Loc.
Dothan, Alabama
I replaced the voltage regulator today with a new VR and bolts and it fixed my parasitic drain. I do have another question though. When I had placed the original regulator back in the bronco with the new wiring, I had used different bolts. I noticed today that the bolts were not magnetic and my firewall is lined with bedliner. Do you think the whole problem was just not having a proper ground?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
That could have been the issue. Reisntall old regulator and see what happens.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
bad ground to the regulator will blow the regulator. It is already shot. Make sure the body of the new regulator has a good ground or it will die as well.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ditto that. Grounded to the body, but ALSO run a small ground wire between one of the bolts and a point on the case of the alternator. There are actually a couple of "GRD" studs back there, but any point on the case will do the job.

Paul