• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Pictures of door wiring within the door strap

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
They might be talking about some straps we had that included an additional layer/flap with velcro that you could run wires under. Held them in place nicely semi-hidden along the strap.

I don't see them on the site right now, which likely means they were one of the items done by our custom upholstery guy that we lost at least temporarily when we lost him.
Hope we get them back though. They were pretty cool.

I'll check tomorrow to see if they're going to be available anytime soon, or were not popular enough to put too high on the to-do list yet.

Don't have pics right now, and pretty sure mine are buried somewhere. Might take awhile...

Paul

OP
OP
K

KeithKinPhx

Thanks Paul.

It's kind of funny how there are so many pictures of doors and the photos are cropped right at the jam. A conspiracy theorist might argue that no one has an elegant solution and everyone is intentionally hiding their hack.

The ultimate goal is a great looking door with full modern conveniences, and wait for it, for the ability to easily remove for open door riding.

I am adding saddle leather seats and had the wild hair that I would make my own leather door straps. Since I am fabricating those maybe a pocket for wires may be the solution.

OP
OP
K

KeithKinPhx

For me the real deal breaker on the execution is how the wires exit the door and the kick panel. If it looks like a high school Auto Shop 101 project, I'll have to pass.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There's no "pass" in this case. The entry/exit is entirely up to the installer. Only the strap has the flap. No facility for the hole in the door other than what you come up with.
Obviously, the most common is just going to be a drill and a standard rubber grommet. Luckily though, as high-school shop as this actually is, it doesn't always look out of place on an Early Bronco!;D
In fact, in some cases it could probably pass as factory!%)

Only partially kidding on that...

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...It's kind of funny how there are so many pictures of doors and the photos are cropped right at the jam. A conspiracy theorist might argue that no one has an elegant solution and everyone is intentionally hiding their hack.

Funny, but I say the same thing every time I watch a televised auction.
I've been wanting to see the tailpipe tips on '70 and '71 Chevelles, and '68 through '71 Corvettes for years. Also the tachometers too.
But every time they swing around for the full shot, they stop at the pipes like they were some ugly appendage not to be seen for fear of lowering the value of the car!
And the tach? They never seem to get close enough.

The reason I'm wanting to see the details is to find out which tips and tachs went with which engine. They had rectangular and round tips. And they had redlines on the tachs that were anywhere from 5500 to 7000 rpm.
I remember the first time I saw a Corvette tach with a 7000 rpm redline and was shocked. Up to that point all American V8's seemed to stop at 5000-5500.

So anyway, it's 40 years later and I still don't know. It's a conspiracy I tell ya!
Of course, I could likely look it up. But where's the fun in that. And that doesn't tell you if someone has faked their big V8 restoration.

Paul

74 Bronco Billy

Contributor
For install, the hole on the driver's door would be to the right or forward of the two screws for the strap. When door is open, it covers small hole well. I've seen guys use Velcro to keep fabric straps against the door to hide hole.
Leather is nice and supple, but not sure of its ability compared to strength of woven fabric. I've seen where one guy's daughter made his from emergency cord, wove it, and in an emergency could be used for another purpose. That holds up real well.
Sticky backed Velcro should be able to hold "flaps" of material to cover the small speaker holes. You could use the male/female plastic covered connectors if your wire gauge is not too small.
Hope that helps. Sorry, don't have any pictures.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk