• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Pin hole in my radiator

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
I have enjoyed my restored ride for 600 miles now but noticed a very small pin hole leaking coolant in my stock radiator.
I have two questions.

1. Any tips on using the radiator stop leak stuff?
2. What is a good replacement option? When I get around to replacing it I might as well upgrade. I have the stock v drive pulleys on a 77 302 with the Mustang EFI.
Thanks,
John

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I wouldnt really use the radiator leak stuff unless I really needed to. Since you plan on getting a new radiator you could use it for the mean time but I would only put in a small amount.
Got any radiator shops close by? best bet is to ret it recored they can get the good industrial cores that cool better. Worst case they can just rod it out.

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Don't put stop leak in it. That junk can be more like stop-up. Try putting pepper in it. That actually does work.

As far as replacement, I really like my Howe Aluminum ordered through JBG. They are pricey though.

crab

Bronco Guru
A buddy has a "JB QUICK" (JB weld) patch on his radiator from the fan hitting that has held for about 8 years now

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Why not just pull it out and have it fixed? I have had a few radiators that leaked when fairly new and a little fix job was all it took and they were good for years afterwards. Much less money as well (unless they find the whole thing rotted out)

Nightmare Bronc

I have also seen the pepper work for a temp. fix. I got a Champion aluminum radiator, I have not put it in yet. It looks very nice and the price was not to bad.

mango

Loc.
Sarasota, FL
I just added a hole to the tank on my rad with a 1/4" drill bit. It was easily repaired at a rad shop, $20.00. They also leak tested it. Good time to flush it well.

OP
OP
JohnJohn

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
Thanks guys for the tips. I will start searching for a local radiator shop near me.
The pin hole is in the fins and not on the end tanks.

I can see it and it is on the top drivers side about 2" from the tank.

I will try to get it fixed but I did noticed aluminum ones for early Bronco's on eBay for about $200. Are they worth it?

ogr

Loc.
Vail
There are tubes running behind those fins. Sometimes a radiator shop will merely pinch the leaky tube to stop a leak if the radiator is still flowing well. Having it looked at by a shop is your best bet.

Sac '68 sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Orangevale
I used Bars in my old 88 caddy for a pretty good sized leak, and it worked good for over a year before I sold it. Don't know about any long term issues with using it, but I got a good 8-10K miles out of it.

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
throw in a can of skoal long cut that'll plug her up I like the JBweld Idea best though.