• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Pistola... West Texas Bronco Buildup

Heus33

Bronco Guru
That came out great Keith!

Get some miles on that sucker, you deserve it!!

OP
OP
akb3

akb3

Loc.
Del Rio, Tx
Beginning the install of my Highlander hood. I've never done a hood install before, so I'm trying to think of all the pitfalls in advance. Any helpful words of advice are welcome. Anyway, I know how you guys like pictures, so here are a few from today.

Attachments

• 9_12_2012.jpg
    9_12_2012.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 252
  • 9_12_2012_2.jpg
    9_12_2012_2.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 287
  • 09_12_2012.jpg
    09_12_2012.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 303
  • Hood 9_12_2012.jpg
    Hood 9_12_2012.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 250
OP
OP
akb3

akb3

Loc.
Del Rio, Tx
Bumper Shave

Cut my bumpers down a little today. It looks much cleaner than the stock length I think. Being that I live in a small town, I'll have to wait until my next trip to San Antonio to drop these at the chromer. Getting closer.

Attachments

• CameraAwesomePhoto.jpg
    CameraAwesomePhoto.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 128
  • CameraAwesomePhoto_4.jpg
    CameraAwesomePhoto_4.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 151
  • CameraAwesomePhoto_3.jpg
    CameraAwesomePhoto_3.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 139
  • CameraAwesomePhoto_2.jpg
    CameraAwesomePhoto_2.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 128
  • CameraAwesomePhoto_1.jpg
    CameraAwesomePhoto_1.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 133

MyOriginal66

Bronco Guru
Cut my bumpers down a little today. It looks much cleaner than the stock length I think. Being that I live in a small town, I'll have to wait until my next trip to San Antonio to drop these at the chromer. Getting closer.

That looks sweeeeeeet Keith! How much did you cut them down and what did you cut them with? Did you just use tape and the original contour for the shape?

OP
OP
akb3

akb3

Loc.
Del Rio, Tx
Thanks Anton. I went about 3" in front and about 1.5" in back. I started by making a paper template of the stock bumper profile. Then I modified the template to the profile I was shooting for. It's pretty close to the stock shape but follows the body line more closely. It was a couple of hours of getting it just right with the trusty old eyeball test and refitting many times. I used a angle grinder with a cutoff wheel for hackin' away the big stuff and then the same tool with a flap disk and also a hand file for fine tuning, deburring, and rounding the edges.

OP
OP
akb3

akb3

Loc.
Del Rio, Tx
Got my door felt, rubber, and glass installed. The windows don't rattle a bit. I'm impressed with the kit from WH.

Attachments

• driver side finished.JPG
    driver side finished.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 84
  • passenger side finished.JPG
    passenger side finished.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
OP
OP
akb3

akb3

Loc.
Del Rio, Tx
Got my Highlander hood put on the best I could, but I've run into a problem which I think I've got a fix for. The hood needs to be supported in a higher position than the stock side hood bumpers in order to keep it flush with the fender lines. In order to do that, I'm planning on getting four small adjustable hood bumpers, drilling two holes per side, and installing them so I can fine tune the height of the hood all the way down to the grille. Hope it works. Otherwise, the hood lines up great. One shim on the driver's side evened up the gaps perfectly. Should look great. And I still need to raise the grille a bit to try and minimize the gap between the grille and fenders.

Attachments

• Hood Hinge Brace.jpg
    Hood Hinge Brace.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 119
  • Hood Bumper.jpg
    Hood Bumper.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 118
  • Hood 5.jpg
    Hood 5.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 121
  • Hood 4.jpg
    Hood 4.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 121
  • Hood 3.jpg
    Hood 3.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 114
  • Hood 2.jpg
    Hood 2.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 107
  • Hood 1.jpg
    Hood 1.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 112
OP
OP
akb3

akb3

Loc.
Del Rio, Tx
Finally got my measurements done on my hood for the installation of the hood spring and safety catch. Made a steel plate to mount on the nut side of the hood spring to distribute the weight of opening and closing. Painted the brackets for my hood struts.

Attachments

• CameraAwesomePhoto(5).jpg
    CameraAwesomePhoto(5).jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 61
  • CameraAwesomePhoto(6).jpg
    CameraAwesomePhoto(6).jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 54
  • CameraAwesomePhoto(7).jpg
    CameraAwesomePhoto(7).jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 58
OP
OP
akb3

akb3

Loc.
Del Rio, Tx
Got one door finished out finally. I'm missing one arm rest clip, so I'm on the hunt for it. Hopefully I'll get this thing inspected this week.

Attachments

• Finished Door.jpg
    Finished Door.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 143
OP
OP
akb3

akb3

Loc.
Del Rio, Tx
Hood Shocks

Installed my hood shock kit from WH today. Very straight forward install and very stout. The shock on the passenger side is popping off the shock mount bracket (that nipple piece). The last two pics show it on properly and what it looks like after trying to come off. This is happening in the last 2-3 inches of hood closure. I've got another inch of shock travel to go, so I know it's not binding up. Any ideas? I'll probably just call WH tomorrow and find out what they suggest. I've got a bikini top coming to make due in the meantime before I spring for Chuck's soft top. Things left to do are get this hood shock thing figured out, get the hood painted, get the bumpers chromed, and install the bikini top. I've also got a small oil leak somewhere around the pan. I haven't really checked it out real good yet. I should be getting the inspection sticker in the next couple of days also.

Attachments

• Nipple Problems 2.JPG
    Nipple Problems 2.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 74
  • Nipple Problems 1.JPG
    Nipple Problems 1.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 73
  • Finished 2.JPG
    Finished 2.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 79
  • Finished 1.JPG
    Finished 1.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 84
    CameraAwesomePhoto_2.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 85
  • CameraAwesomePhoto_1.jpg
    CameraAwesomePhoto_1.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 95
    CameraAwesomePhoto_3.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 105
  • CameraAwesomePhoto.jpg
    CameraAwesomePhoto.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 114
OP
OP
akb3

akb3

Loc.
Del Rio, Tx
Well Pistola is officially roadworthy! Got her inspected yesterday and took her out of the cave today for a long drive. She drives great and I'm happy with the handling. A little rough as far as the suspension goes but it's not a 2012 Lexus.

I must again compliment WH for their customer service. I called them and told them about my hydraulic hood shock. They did not hesitate sending me another one out right away. I really enjoy dealing with those guys. Never a bad dealing with them.

OK. I just about got my bikini top completely installed today. I just don't want to drill into my windshield frame to mount the side snaps. Went by and talked to my painter and I should be taking the hood into him in a week or two. I've still got to put on the fresh air vent for the heater, the antenna, and the script emblems on the fenders. I have decided to leave the bumpers black.

OP
OP
akb3

akb3

Loc.
Del Rio, Tx
Got the soft top finished up today. Pretty nice. Decided to just tuck the side tabs back in the soft top. I don't want to make another hole in my windshield frame. Got my steering linkage powder coated also.

Attachments

• CameraAwesomePhoto.jpg
    CameraAwesomePhoto.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 176
  • CameraAwesomePhoto_4.jpg
    CameraAwesomePhoto_4.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 197
    CameraAwesomePhoto_3.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 187
    CameraAwesomePhoto_2.jpg