• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

PLEASE HELP: Starting a Bronco That's Sat For 4 Years

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
OK Sorry but lots of Rockie advise here is seems. Now I agree with Elkabong & Broncobowsher .. When I got my Bronco it had been setting for 5 years. I hauled it home. Placed it in the shop & placed an electric fuel pump on the fuel line .. Pulled out as much of the old fuel as I could. .. Added some new fuel and pumped some more out of it. Then put on new fuel line and cranked it up .. GOOD TO GO. YA WRIGHT.
..... ON mine it was funny. I had lots of other issues before I could drive mine. So I had to replace most of the brake system. & several other items just to drive it in the country.
.. FUNNY ....Mine had 2 tanks.. And for some reason I just had to make it run off that 2nd tank. Thank God I brought lots of extra fuel home to fill than tank completely full. When I filled it up it started to leak almost like I was just pouring it from the filler to the ground. So I flooded my shop with gas. So I let it set .. PULLed the Bronco just outside the door . I pulled the 2nd tank .. IT had about 4 very large cracks in it. and when I pulled it It must have had 2 lbs of dirt in it .. I could not believe the crap that came out of it.. So I plugged it off. It's basically ran great since.
.... I'd get the old fuel out and crank it .. Go from here. I would not mess with the carb until needed .

I've brought several old broncos back to life, some were sitting for 10. Or 12 years. I like this advice. Swap the old gas with new I bet it starts and runs. Shop #1 is trying to get in your wallet

OP
OP

Hi Guys,

Again, thanks for all you assistance and recommendations that helped me get my Bronco up and purring. There were a number of issues with the truck from sitting so long, which I'd be happy to share in another post. Anyway, picked up the Bronco, drove the surface streets for half an hour, hit the freeway for about an hour, then took it directly to a Star smog station where it passed with flying colors.

As promised, I've uploaded some pics. I'll add some shots from under the hood soon.

http://classicbroncos.com/photos/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=40541

Cheers!

El Kabong

Contributor
Driving stuff Henry built
Congrats on getting it squared away. Please tell us what you had to do to it. It both would satisfy our curiosity, and may help someone down the road who finds this thread while trying to do the same thing. Thanks for the update.

broncobusted

Get the gas out and look at your sock filter end of sending unit. I recently started a bronco after a twelve year sit with old gas. Short story i had to drop and clean tank replace fuel line and rebuild carb twice. I put new sending unit from graveyard and just got her out today. Oh yeah had to replace plugs three times dont do what i did. Good luck

OP
OP

Congrats on getting it squared away. Please tell us what you had to do to it. It both would satisfy our curiosity, and may help someone down the road who finds this thread while trying to do the same thing. Thanks for the update.
Here's a thorough, comprehensive list:
1) Extracted as much fuel as possible from both tanks through filler pipes. Disconnected fuel lines to engine and pressure forced remaining gas from tanks.
2) Replaced spark plugs.
3) Lubricated each cylinder.
4) Let lubricant set, then manually turned engine.
5) Thoroughly cleaned the carburetor.
6) Resealed accelerator pump with new gasket from carb kit.
7) Replaced fuel pump along with 1 section of fuel injection hose at pump.
8) Replaced fuel filter.
9) Replaced drive belts.
10) Replaced battery, cleaned terminals.
11) Replaced battery cables and installed new ends along with a negative disconnect (not a bad idea for a truck that isn't a daily driver.)
12) Replaced the air filter.
* While attempting to winch the Bronco onto the flatbed to have it towed to the shop, the left rear wheel was completely locked up, so the brake system had to be carefully inspected. We found gear oil on the left rear shoes due to leaking axle seal.
13) Removed left rear axle, replaced seal and cleaned gear oil as best as possible from brake assembly and shoes.
14) Clean and adjusted rear brakes.
15) Replaced front lower cracked brake hoses attached to calipers. Cleaned all fittings.
16) Brake fluid flush. Drained, flushed, filled and bled the brake hydraulic system.
17) Cleaned out master cylinder of dirt and debris.
18) Lube and oil change: Drained and refilled engine oil, replace oil filter, lubed fittings, filled all fluids to proper levels, inspected tires.
19) A few of the additives, conditioners included: Octane booster, Stabil (fuel stabilizer) G2P fuel system cleaner.
20) Checked all steering for possible damage or wear. Performed a front end alignment.
*The truck was in dire need of tires, so I put a new set of BF Goodrich's BFG 235/75R15.

That's about it. Drove it for an hour, surface streets first to check/settle the system then onto the freeway for a good half hour before getting it smogged, where it passed with flying colors.