• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Possible Fuel Tank mass buy for East coast

OP
OP
J

Joe473

Looking for someone In VA or delaware area with a business address to receive a group of tanks.
PM me if you can help out.

JSmall

Bronco Guru
About to send you a PM with the new info needed. On the smaller version of the tank, what way is it smaller? If that makes sense. I moved my axle back 4 inches so the rear of my axle will probably contact a large tank like this. Curious if it is shorter front to rear or top to bottom.

**Sorry, read the original thread and now know where the difference is. PM sent.

Last edited:

maup

Joe - check PM, shouldn't be an issue to ship to my work in Roanoke VA if you still need a place.

chight

I am still in the beginning stages of deciding what I am going to do with my build so I am looking for some help from everyone. I tried calling Aerotanks today but they are the lucky ones and only work Monday -Thursday, I would like to purchase one of these tanks but I am unsure what to order as I do not know much about anything other than I love my old bronco. I have the original dual tank set-up and am currently missing the aux tank, but would like to put it back in at some point. I am not planning on EFI but may do it in the future so I willing to pay up front for the flexibility. Is this workable? I will have a 1" BL and am planning on moving my axle back 1" so I would not want to experience any clearance issues down the line. I will do the skid plate for the extra protection. So my question to everyone is what size tank and options would work best for my thoughts? Am I missing any other things?

Thanks in advance.

Also, I am in Richmond Va and could receive the shipment if needed.

Joe PM Sent

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would like to purchase one of these tanks but I am unsure what to order as I do not know much about anything other than I love my old bronco.

That's good enough! Ok, well not quite of course, but it's a great place to start from.
And welcome to classicbroncos too by the way. I see you've been here for a few months already, but still new enough to welcome.

I have the original dual tank set-up and am currently missing the aux tank, but would like to put it back in at some point.

Should not cause any issues. Can be plumbed just like they had from the factory with dual tanks, just some new hoses from different points than stock is all.
But I would seriously consider using an electric tank selector valve when you do the install, rather than keeping the old (but retro-cool) manual valve under the seat.

I am not planning on EFI but may do it in the future so I willing to pay up front for the flexibility. Is this workable?

Definitely. I think.
I'm sure they'll tell you one way or the other, but if the tanks are different enough, just order the one for EFI but without the pump so you can simply use the standard pickup tube. Then you're ready to go EFI with an internal pump down the road.
If for some reason the two tanks are different enough, you could opt for the external pump when it's time for the conversion.
But hopefully it's not a big deal.

I will have a 1" BL and am planning on moving my axle back 1" so I would not want to experience any clearance issues down the line.

The 1" body lift is what you need to know for sure now. That way they can set up the mounts for it ahead of time, or can leave them off for you to weld on after the fact. Most will just opt to have Aero pre-mount the brackets, but at the specific height.
I will say though, that with a mass buy, make SURE that your desired height is clearly spelled out, and check when it arrives to make sure. I requested one with loose mounts and they welded them on for a 2" body lift instead!
So I get to use spacers...
I can't say with 100% certainty, but I doubt that your 1" axle shift is going to interfere with any part of the tank.

I will do the skid plate for the extra protection.

Good call if you're ever going to take it off-road. Most newer Bronco owners do not have that intention however, so if your wheeling is going to be minimal or non-existant, then maybe you don't need to spend the money either.
But when in doubt, spring for it. I did and would not do it any other way.

So my question to everyone is what size tank and options would work best for my thoughts? Am I missing any other things?

Unless ground clearance and/or looks are your primary goals, then go for the full 23 gallons. No need to short-change yourself on that score.
The difference in height is pretty minimal too, so the whole "appearance" thing is not an issue for most.
Some just don't like seeing gas tanks, so I brought it up for discussion. I would buy a slightly smaller one if I had to do it again, but entirely for ground clearance as I still plan to bash mine off-road in the rocky sierras.
Every inch counts there, even though I've run a 23 gallon NWMP tank for 20 years and over the Rubicon and other trails many times. It only had a small dent or two, but with dual tanks I don't mind losing just a smidge of capacity.
I'd probably not go less than 20 gallons though, as max gas is still a bigger benefit to an EB than most other aspects.

All personal preference and intended use at that point.

Paul

OP
OP
J

Joe473

That's good enough! Ok, well not quite of course, but it's a great place to start from.
And welcome to classicbroncos too by the way. I see you've been here for a few months already, but still new enough to welcome.

Should not cause any issues. Can be plumbed just like they had from the factory with dual tanks, just some new hoses from different points than stock is all.
But I would seriously consider using an electric tank selector valve when you do the install, rather than keeping the old (but retro-cool) manual valve under the seat.

Definitely. I think.
I'm sure they'll tell you one way or the other, but if the tanks are different enough, just order the one for EFI but without the pump so you can simply use the standard pickup tube. Then you're ready to go EFI with an internal pump down the road.
If for some reason the two tanks are different enough, you could opt for the external pump when it's time for the conversion.

The 1" body lift is what you need to know for sure now. That way they can set up the mounts for it ahead of time, or can leave them off for you to weld on after the fact. Most will just opt to have Aero pre-mount the brackets, but at the specific height.
I will say though, that with a mass buy, make SURE that your desired height is clearly spelled out, and check when it arrives to make sure. I requested one with loose mounts and they welded them on for a 2" body lift instead!
So I get to use spacers...
I can't say with 100% certainty, but I doubt that your 1" axle shift is going to interfere with any part of the tank.

Good call if you're ever going to take it off-road. Most newer Bronco owners do not have that intention however, so if your wheeling is going to be minimal or non-existant, then maybe you don't need to spend the money either.
But when in doubt, spring for it. I did and would not do it any other way.

Unless ground clearance and/or looks are your primary goals, then go for the full 23 gallons. No need to short-change yourself on that score.
The difference in height is pretty minimal too, so the whole "appearance" thing is not an issue for most.
Some just don't like seeing gas tanks, so I brought it up for discussion. I would buy a slightly smaller one if I had to do it again, but entirely for ground clearance as I still plan to bash mine off-road in the rocky sierras.
Every inch counts there, even though I've run a 23 gallon NWMP tank for 20 years and over the Rubicon and other trails many times. It only had a small dent or two, but with dual tanks I don't mind losing just a smidge of capacity.
I'd probably not go less than 20 gallons though, as max gas is still a bigger benefit to an EB than most other aspects.

All personal preference and intended use at that point.

Paul

Paul, thank you for fielding those questions, gave me some time to put spreadsheet together on this!! As always you are right on and a great resource on here.

A lot of this is personal preferences and we all know how particular some of us Early Bronco owners can be. My advice to most has been get the sump option for external pump as a minimum and at least you have an option for the future.

On size this is mostly about looks and how you use your Rig. To some not seeing 2.5 inches of tank hanging down eases our mind!! For me the ability to produce a smaller tank with the mass buy was the selling point.

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Im In. Should have reviewed this deal better before opening my trap too early but it's all good.:cool:

Come on in the water is warm! That's good. That puts a delivery to migs at 5 tanks to the best of my knowledge, though I think one of the Marinas was thinking long and hard on the deal as well.

Joe473 thanks for putting this together. Looking forward to seeing the spreadsheet come across my email.

OP
OP
J

Joe473

Mass buy closing to New buyers

OK I have Over 20 tanks now. Anyone who has PM'd me with all info is in if you still want to be. A spreadsheet will go out tonight. If you do not get it by tomorrow am message me as I either do not have an email for you or I fat fingered it.

I will take a couple of more tanks in New Jersey, New York City suburbs and LI, Eastern PA to help consolidate shipping here. Outside of that I would like to move this forward to the Vendor so we can start sending payment and he can build tanks.

When you guys get the email:
Review your info
Review Options
confirm All info is OK via email, or email me any changes. Confirm you are in.

Review Shipping Contact
MIGS Has New Hampshire and Mass Guys (8 tanks)
MauP Has Mid Atlantic (7-8) tanks also
NC Fordguy is contacting a few others to bring a group together in the south.
Those shipping single tanks will need to confirm shipping directly with Aero and cost will vary. $100 should be max.

Please discuss pick-up options with these guys and make sure this works for you. Keep in mind these guys are doing this through work or place of business so please work within their schedule and respect the situation. For Mid Atlantic Maup and Ransil had suggested meeting at MEB event at end of January for pick-up.

Schedule:
We have over 20 tanks and Aero is closed 12/17-1/5. If you need a tank before next year this Mass buy may not be for you. I am going to ask to put the tanks going to Maup at the front of the build schedule to make sure we can deliver at MEB event. If someone has a concern let me know and we will see how to work it out. I will confirm Monday but the impression I have now is all tanks should ship by End of January provided we are prompt with getting payment in.

Payment:
Once everyone responds to my email. I will forward to Vendor for final review. Based on the number of tanks we have of course I am going to ask if we can do any better on price. No guarantees, assume spreadsheet estimate. Buyer will be responsible for calling in and arranging payment for tank. The faster payments get in the faster he will start building and shipping.

Many of you have said thanks for setting this up. Sorry if some of the above sounds a little harsh but want to do my best to make this a good experience for everyone. Thank you all for interest as a group to make this happen.

Joe

ransil

Bronco Guru
Mid-Atlantic Early Bronco (MEB) Richmond Va Get together is Jan 30, 2016, location TBD

we have someone local that will receive the tanks and bring them to the event for distribution

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Definitely. I think.

Paul

This has me thinking, it might make sense to make my second tank EFI ready. Can anyone confirm that if I set the tank up for an external pump I can still use it on a carbureted rig until/if I upgrade?

ransil

Bronco Guru
I was planning on extending the tube where the fuel pump should be and running external pumps

Vin218

Loc.
Manchester, NH
This has me thinking, it might make sense to make my second tank EFI ready. Can anyone confirm that if I set the tank up for an external pump I can still use it on a carbureted rig until/if I upgrade?

I was emailing back and forth with someone from Aero a while back and they told me "Will be set up for in tank pump but you can run it on carb for now. You will just need to get the pump to match engine when you do swap."

OP
OP
J

Joe473

You can run a carb on any of the set-ups. Base tank is simalar to a stock bronco tank internally. External pump option for $25 adds a welded sump area to limit starvation issues. The efi ready option $85 allows you to install internal pump later or extend a pickup to bottom for now and use existing mechanical or frame mounted pump. The last is the most flexible option.

DEEPWOODS

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would like to get in on a tank EFI. 1" body lift. I will Contact NC Fordguy on his group