• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

powder coat vs. rhino liner for bumpers

moe d

Loc.
chicago, il
I have a new set of pre-runner style bumpers in raw metal and trying to decide between powder coating them or having them rhino lined.. powder coating will look nicer but the rhino liner might be more durable.. Anyone have any insight on this??

Thanks!

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I vote for Rustoleam its far easier to touch up and look like new. Powdercoat looks great until it gets scratched and then you can't match it. So guess what you end up spray painting it later.

Bed liner is the same issue but you just cant paint over it when it fades or gets messed up.

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
I did a set with rattle can liner and they have held up pretty well and easy to touch up and much cheaper too.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
another vote for the rustoleum. easy touch up if you hit em or when you want to add things like hooks or tire carriers to em.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
I vote for powder. I had my front bumper powder coated and it takes a beating. Everything from tagging the occasional tree to having your buddy stand on it to help weigh your front end down when you're off camber...

The only thing mine hasn't stood up to was scraping against a rock, but even that damage is pretty minimal and the damage did not reach the underlying metal - its just a superficial scratch on the surface... and this could have been avoided completely by paying closer attention to my spotter.

deltabronco

Bronco Guru
Powder is great as long as it is done right. I have seen alot of metal start rusting under the powder. Once that starts its sandpaper and rustoleum. Benjain moore makes great red primer and oil based paints. I would buy a qt of each and a roller. Their redoxide primer is some of the best out there. Very durable.