• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Bumpers - Powder Coat or Custom Paint?

atacar

Loc.
Pittsburgh
Hi All,

I just ordered Tom's Impact Series Front and Back bumpers. What is best: Powder Coat or Custom Paint?

Personally, I'm leaning towards powder coating because of its perceived durability, but am really curious about the thoughts of all of you.

Thanks!

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Rustoleum. Easy to touch up dings or mods.

best to rattle can it. can you imagine what you will do when you hit that bumper on a shopping cart and the powder coat chips off?

Will you remove the whole bumper to powder coat it again?

Bronco-Brian

Contributor
Loc.
Lake Oswego, OR
I have the same bumpers. I went with powdercoat to thoroughly cover everywhere so no rust will generate in the cracks/crevasses near welds. Powdercoat is way tougher than even the best urethane paints. I also applied 1 coat of satin clear urethane over the silver vein powder to cut down on the gloss. So, paint over powder is also an option for you.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Clean the metal and acid etch then prime with rustoleum rusty red primer and in my case gloss black rustoleum paint. Every 5 years or so scuff the visible areas and shoot another coat of gloss black. easy to maintain and durable enough. easy to touch up if you get rock scars.

1970 Palmer

Powder coating is a very convenient refinishing system, you drop off your dirty, rusty parts, pay your money, and pick it up an a week all shiny. In todays world, it's cheaper, MUCH cheaper than doing a quality paint job.

It's NOT very durable. It can chip and is not easy to repair with the same coating. You will very likely end up using paint to repair the chipped powder coating. My largest concern is that it is not UV protected. Standard coating will fade and chalk in less than two years if left in the sun. A quality primer and paint job will out last powder coating by years in the same weather conditions.

I'd sand it, clean it, prep it, epoxy prime it, and shoot it with a quality automotive paint. A quality paint is going to use activator, and hardener as separate components. Pick your local auto paint supplier, single stage, or BC/CC it will all outlast Powder coat job.

John

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
Powder coating is a very convenient refinishing system, you drop off your dirty, rusty parts, pay your money, and pick it up an a week all shiny. In todays world, it's cheaper, MUCH cheaper than doing a quality paint job.

It's NOT very durable. It can chip and is not easy to repair with the same coating. You will very likely end up using paint to repair the chipped powder coating. My largest concern is that it is not UV protected. Standard coating will fade and chalk in less than two years if left in the sun. A quality primer and paint job will out last powder coating by years in the same weather conditions.

I'd sand it, clean it, prep it, epoxy prime it, and shoot it with a quality automotive paint. A quality paint is going to use activator, and hardener as separate components. Pick your local auto paint supplier, single stage, or BC/CC it will all outlast Powder coat job

John agree completely

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have the same bumpers. I went with powdercoat to thoroughly cover everywhere so no rust will generate in the cracks/crevasses near welds. Powdercoat is way tougher than even the best urethane paints. I also applied 1 coat of satin clear urethane over the silver vein powder to cut down on the gloss. So, paint over powder is also an option for you.
I live in dry AZ and even with that spots on my powder coated protofabs show a little dab of rust bleed out of holes and such. Not enough to worry about. But I agree, PC is best on bumpers but need to keep it out of sun for long term color fade

Huckit36

Depends on if your wheeling it. I was considering powder coating my new bumper. After talking to someone, I’m going to go with steel it. Mine will get banged in the rocks, so the coating will be getting chipped up. Steel it comes in a rattle can, so will be an easy fix when I hit.

tatersalad

Bronco Guru
I powder coated my protofab bumpers, frame, transfer case, roll bars, the skid plates in 2000 and they all still look great. I don't rock crawl but I do go off-road.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
In my world (salty midwest) If you get a ding in the powder coat then rust starts, then if you drive in the winter the powdercoat will start coming off in sheets.

High build quality paint, or do the rattle can thing..